GPSFileDepot.com

Does Garmin have a suggestions forum for their software updates?

Started by QuestionsGPS, March 06, 2013, 12:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuestionsGPS

I am curious because there are some issues that I think could make my GPS better with one of their future software updates, if that's something they can do? Is there a certain department at Garmin to write to that you know of?

For example, I have the Garmin Oregon 450. I think the track back isn't good for this model. It just "tracks back". If your hiking track overlaps itself (such as a figure eight), the unit doesn't use intelligence to have you take the shorter of the two distances back, but rather has you follow the same exact way you came, even if you have to go 50 feet in the opposite direction first before the arrow points you back in the correct direction. However, on the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx that I tried out earlier, it not only allows you to track back, you can click where on the track you want to track back to and the unit will tell you the shorter distance on your track in order to get there. The eTrex doesn't force you to completely track back your figure 8, but rather if the track overlaps itself you can just take the shorter distance. I think that would be neat if there was a way to make the Oregon 450 like that in a future software update.

Or another one, you know how the shading from the maps you buy from Garmin can affect your visibility on a touch screen like the 450, if "shaded relief" is set to on? You know how labels for waypoints for contrast have that small white box background behind them, and how user waypoints aren't affected by the shading from shaded relief while the default waypoint labels are? I wonder if Garmin with a software update could make all labels on the screen like that, even labels for the elevation contour lines, so that shaded relief doesn't affect screen visibility so much?

Boyd

When the Oregon was new, you could contact the developers at [email protected]. The Montana software team was very responsive and incorporated many suggestions that were sent to [email protected] when that device was new.

But I think the train left the station a long time ago with the Oregon 450, they are rolling out the Oregon 600 series which is a completely new design now and are not likely to be interested in the 450 anymore.

You can send your suggestions here too. Frankly, I think it's a waste of your time but you never know...  http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/

Indrid Cold

Quote from: QuestionsGPS on March 06, 2013, 12:06:21 PM
I am curious because there are some issues that I think could make my GPS better with one of their future software updates, if that's something they can do? Is there a certain department at Garmin to write to that you know of?
visit this page

Boyd

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Boyd on March 07, 2013, 05:15:35 AM
Same link that I posted above.  :D
Sorry, hadn't made it down that far yet  :-\

Oh, then I second the suggestion! :D