GPSFileDepot.com

merging .mp files from 4 smaller maps to make 1 whole map

Started by ftballpack2, February 27, 2013, 08:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ftballpack2

Hello Everyone,

I am attempting to merge 4 separate maps that I am in the process of creating into a single map.  I originally was attempting to make a custom kml map using google earth and basecamp for use when snowmobiling in Marathon County Wisconsin. That process worked perfectly although, I did not understand you could not make your own routable trails in bootcamp when I made the custom map  :(.  In the process of doing so, I split the county map into 4 smaller jpeg files.

I have since used the tutorial on "gpssledmaps.com" and imported one of the converted .bmp files into OzExplorer, calibrated it.  Saved it as a .map file and am now editing it in GPSMapEdit.  This has all worked out astonishingly well in the last 2 days.

Only issue, how do I merge the 4 separate .mp files I get from GPSMapEdit into one before I make it into a finished map?  I had to split the files earlier into smaller ones due to the raster map image and now I am afraid I am going to be stuck with 4 maps when what I really want is 1 routable transparent map that I can overlay on a Wisconsin Topographical map for snowmobiling?

I also would hate to pay anything at this point since I am so close to actually having workable county snowmobile maps.

Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Seldom

Boyd

Quote from: ftballpack2 on February 27, 2013, 08:34:29 PMI also would hate to pay anything at this point since I am so close to actually having workable county snowmobile maps.

GPSMapEdit is shareware and you are supposed to purchase a license after you evaluate it. http://www.geopainting.com/en/License.html

If you have found value in the use of the program, why wouldn't you support the author's work by purchasing a legal copy?

ftballpack2

Quote from: Boyd on February 28, 2013, 04:49:38 AM
If you have found value in the use of the program, why wouldn't you support the author's work by purchasing a legal copy?

I have several issues with purchasing the software at this point.

1.  I am still in the proof of concept/alpha stages of my build.  I do not want to pay for anything until I can actually prove that a finished product is indeed possible to be built.

2.  Bigger issue, I hate dealing with program activation and inability to move serials to and from machines.  I have had real issues with this in the past with programs like perfectdisk (which I paid for program upgrades and they failed to give me) and Microsoft Office (upgrade OS doing blank install on same machine, Office would not reinstall)

If the software can be proven to me to be a means to an end and at the same time give me the flexibility to move the software from machine to machine and OS to OS then I would definitely look into paying for the software but, if the software is more of a hassle then what the benefit is to me, then their is no way I am going to pay for it.

Microsoft Office is a prime example of this.  I knew plenty of College student who would have paid the $80 price of Microsoft Office for Students but with the problems with licensing the software and serials, many would take the route of pirating as it was just a heck of a lot less hassle to deal with. 

ftballpack2

I am just curious. I just downloaded the MapEdit ++ software and from the looks of it, it appears to almost exactly the same as GPSMapEdit.

I am curious is the open source version (MapEdit) just a simplified open source version where as GPSMapEdit it more of a finished retail product that are both being developed at the same time?  ie.  Apple with OSX and Darwin (the free opensource and extremely limited version of OSX).    Or is GPSMapEdit more of a closed project now as MapEdit appears to have not changed any of its source code since 2010, ie.  TiVo originally developing their software open source and making it an open project and then in 2006 taking the whole project and making it closed source.

I'm just curious because these two software programs are ridiculously similar to each other. 

This also finally explains why 1/2 the time when googling software people referred to MapEdit where as the other 1/2 of the time they referred to GPSMapEdit.  Here I thought it was just people trying to save time by shorting up the software name.....

Boyd

Not sure, but I think MapEdit is an older version.

What does Microsoft Office have to do with anything? This is a shareware program that is more akin to a "labor of love" by an individual, not one of the world's largest corporations.

I understand the part about not wanting to pay if it won't do what you want. But using the software and refusing to pay because you don't like the license is another matter.

FWIW, I got a license a number of years ago and moved the program to another machine with no issues.

ftballpack2

Quote from: Boyd on February 28, 2013, 01:43:31 PM
What does Microsoft Office have to do with anything? This is a shareware program that is more akin to a "labor of love" by an individual, not one of the world's largest corporations.

I understand the part about not wanting to pay if it won't do what you want. But using the software and refusing to pay because you don't like the license is another matter.

FWIW, I got a license a number of years ago and moved the program to another machine with no issues.

I do not think I explained myself thoroughly before.  I apologize.  I only started with this process of map making on Sunday, which was 4 days ago.  I came across this forum after reading about snowmobiling & gps on a snowmobiling forum on Sunday and realized that I should be able to get this to work.

Since I barely have my feet wet, I am not going to pay for anything yet.  If I can get my proof of concept a little bit further along in the process and get beyond an alpha development stage, I will gladly pay for the software, if I know this will work as intended.

I was using the Microsoft Office example as an example of difficulties with serials and programs in general.  Office 2007 would tie the machine id, os id, and the serial number together, allowing only 2 different installs per serial, for product activation.  That is the sort of thing I have issue with in particular.

I am extremely happy to hear that GPSMapEdit does not make a user go through all of these hoops and as a result, will look into purchasing the software if I can get beyond the early testing stages.

popej

Author of GPSMapEdit - Konstantin Galichsky - some times ago published sources of his program. MapEdit++ is developed from these sources, its functionality is more or less like for unregistered GPSMapEdit. One of advantages of MapEdit++ is 64bit version.

If you buy license for GPSMapEdit there are something like 5 or 6 installation possible, no problem to use it on multiple PC.

ftballpack2

Popej, I am just wondering, have you or anyone else for that matter been able to run the 64bit version of MapEdit++?

I tried running it on 2 separate machines that I have, both running Windows 7 SP1 64-bit.  One is a Core 2 Duo the other is a Core 2 Quad.  I keep getting an error message to the effect of "configuration not correct, for setup" or something like that.  I have run the 64-bit Office 2010 demo no problem in the past, not sure why I can't run MapEdit++ 64-bit?  Does it run using AMD chips using a 64-bit version of Windows?  I am so confused....

popej

I'm running x64 version of MapEdit++ on Core 2 Quad and Windows 7 without problems.

ftballpack2

hmm, I am so confused...

I included a screen shot of the error I am getting.  Is your version of Map++ 64-bit installed or are you just running it from the extracted 7-zip file?  I am just trying to run it from the extracted 7-zip folder.  No idea why this is not working.....

popej

This could be a problem with some Microsoft libraries, see:
http://forums.elementalgame.com/429402

I suggest to install VC++ redistributable and download last version of MapEdit++:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gmeaddons/files/MapEdit%2B%2B/1.0.61.496/

I'm running program unpacked from archive.

ftballpack2

Hmm,

I attempted to install the C++ runtimes in the link but no luck.  On the machine that I would actually use a 64-bit version of MapEdit I have Visual Studio 2010 installed.  Have not used it since College but, nice to have nonetheless.  Issue is the uninstall reinstall takes hours if not days.  I do not even want to think about venturing into that realm.

But thank for you help popej! 

I think I will just stick with the 32-bit version for the sake of this issue probably not being worth the hours/days of troubleshooting and reinstalling C++ runtimes, .net, and Visual Studio components. 

Thank you again for your efforts popej!