GPSFileDepot.com

GPS Coordinates for Photos: How do you remove geotag EXIF data?

Started by QuestionsGPS, February 25, 2013, 11:20:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuestionsGPS

Hi, I enjoy the geotagging feature in BaseCamp.  However, I have an issue I don't know how to fix  ??? 

You know how BaseCamp gives you the option of stating how much time your GPSr and camera are offset by so that you can get correct geotagging?  I forgot to do that, and so BC gave me the wrong coordinates for a picture that I really care about.  So, I though about using that feature again to fix the issue, using the correct time offset (by an hour).  Unfortunately, earlier I had already split my track for that hike in half and erased the return journey portion of the track, because I prefer to remember the distance "one-way" on hikes rather than the "round-trip" mileage.  So, I wasn't able to get the track geotagging feature to write the correct GPS coordinates on top of my mistake of one hour offset.

Next, I tried dragging and dropping my picture on the correct portion of the BaseCamp map where my Bird's Eye Imagery tells me the correct location should be.  It wouldn't work because the "drag and drop picture" feature only works if the photo doesn't already have geotag coordinates, and thus the wrong coords are blocking this from working   >:(

Is it best to somehow remove GPS coordinates EXIF data?  Or some other easier method to fix it?  I don't know anything about editing EXIF data, so if that's the best option, any advice would be appreciated!  Also, I'd prefer not to touch any of the other EXIF data on the picture, in case I have to make copyright claims to my picture later on.

dbperry

acdsee is great photo management software and allows editing of any exif fields.

http://www.acdsee.com

sorry, it's not free, but acdsee 15 will do what you want.

I would imagine there are free exif editors around, but I don't have any knowledge on that.

Dave
My custom KMZ map collection:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/byuser/13384/

babj615

Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

QuestionsGPS

Thanks for the suggestions!

Also, I am wondering if anyone knows if using an EXIF editor would invalidate your claim that it's your picture, if you try to claim copyright later on if someone's using your photo for money, or not really?