GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Making/printing your own maps

Started by sundanceout, February 25, 2013, 10:15:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundanceout

I know this is hardly the topic at hand for this site, since it is focused around map files for GPS use, but I figured the level of expertise here is enough to warrant asking. I would like to create 1:50,000 topo maps with either MGRS or USNG references on them that can be used in a GPS or printed on paper. Is that even possible with the resources available (especially the printing part)?

Indrid Cold

BaseCamp will print either format grid on map views

sundanceout

Yes, it does; but unfortunately I have not found a way to print in either 1:24,000 or 1:50,000 scale. It also has a horrible north indicator.

Seldom

Have you looked at Global Mapper?  It supports tons of formats and data sources and I'm pretty sure it will also support large format printers.

sundanceout

It looks like it is only Windows compatible and i am a mac user. It looks neat though (and pricey - whoo!).

Indrid Cold

Quote from: sundanceout on February 26, 2013, 06:58:02 AM
It looks like it is only Windows compatible and i am a mac user. It looks neat though (and pricey - whoo!).
It's one of the most affordable GIS software that will do what you want. Unless you have a PPC Macintosh, you have BootCamp that will allow you to install Windows and run it natively.

Boyd

What maps do you want to print? You could buy a LOT of printed maps for less than the cost of GIS software + the Windows OS.  ;) I know the USGS has online ordering of hardcopy maps.

However I am also a big GlobalMapper fan. If you want to *make* maps, you definitely want it. I ran it under Windows on my Mac for awhile and it was fine but finally got a dedicated PC just for mapmaking.

sundanceout

I really want the MGRS maps that I use in the military, but they are impossible to get as a civilian. I have finally given in to getting 1:24,000 maps with the MGRS or USNG designators (I hate UTM). I bought a map from mytopo.com, but their 1:50,000 is hard to read any data. I downloaded the knew US TOPO from USGS, but it doesn't have structure or land cover. The older ones have those, but they are from the 1980's. The maps here are awesome, but basecamp won't print out 1:50,000 or 1:24,000 formats. The new US TOPO maps from USGS have layers on the PDF that you can turn on and off. I would love to create some structure and land cover layers and print those out.

leszekp

Quantum GIS (http://qgis.org) is free GIS software that might be able to do what you need. Bit of a learning curve (as with any GIS program), but there's a decent manual and lots of online tutorials and videos. Plus, once you learn how to use it, you'll know the basics for any GIS program. And yes, there is a Mac version available.