GPSFileDepot.com

Can't install 24k maps from BaseCamp to Oregon 450t

Started by mattn03, February 21, 2013, 07:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattn03

I'm running BaseCamp 4.1.1, Oregon 450t software 6.10, a Dell XPS Windows 7 64 bit laptop.  The 24k map shows up on BaseCamp, but when I right click & select Install Map on internal memory, it lets me a highlight a partial section of the southeast 24k map (I only want a part of it installed) and then goes through the install process. I've tried 4-5 times and it always gets stuck at 100% and doesn't advance to let me select "Finish".  The one time it did advance so I could click "Finish", it appeared to have completed the install.  However, when I checked my GPS under Setup>Map>Map Information Select Map, it did not have the 24k map installed.  What am I doing wrong?

Boyd

I don't see how you could be running Basecamp 4.4.1. since the newest version is only 4.1.1 ;)
I assume you have plenty of space available to install? I have never cared for Mapinstall myself and rarely use it so I can't really help.

But to troubleshoot, you might also try using Mapsource to install. You can download it here if you don't already have it, and it will see all the maps you've already installed in Basecamp. http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

mattn03

Quote from: Boyd on February 21, 2013, 07:22:00 AM
I don't see how you could be running Basecamp 4.4.1. since the newest version is only 4.1.1 ;)
I assume you have plenty of space available to install? I have never cared for Mapinstall myself and rarely use it so I can't really help.

But to troubleshoot, you might also try using Mapsource to install. You can download it here if you don't already have it, and it will see all the maps you've already installed in Basecamp. http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

Yep, should be 4.1.1.  According to BC, I'm only installing 780 MB and Windows shows I have 3.64 GB free on the 450t's internal memory.  Does this sound right?  Where does BC put the map on the 450t and what would be the name of the file?  I want to search for it after it attempts to install and see if it's on the 450t.

mattn03

mattn03

Mapsource worked like a charm. THANKS!  I have no clue why BC wouldn't work. 

Can I install the map on the SC card and have the GPS automatically read from it or does the map have to be installed in the units internal memory?

Indrid Cold

Boyd

Also, since Mapsource is older software, it ALWAYS names the map file gmapsupp.img. So if you send another map to your gps, it will delete the existing gmapsupp.img and replace it with the new map. To prevent this, change the name of your existing map to something descriptive, like SEtopo.img, before sending another map.

mattn03

Quote from: Indrid Cold on February 21, 2013, 08:38:16 AM
either card or internal memory is fine

How do I get the GPS to read from the internal memory or card or does it do it automatically depending on where the tracks are stored?

Boyd

Are you talking about maps or tracks? Tracks would normally be stored in internal memory.

But to answer the basic question, you don't need to take any actions for the GPS to read the card. It should automatically read all the data available regardless of location.

mattn03

Maps and tracks. I've never had any luck getting the GPS to read the micro SD card.

Boyd

The directory structure of the card should mimic the structure of internal memory. Maps go in the Garmin folder, tracks in the GPX folder, etc.

mattn03