GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Map installation tutorial question

Started by TVZZ, February 20, 2013, 07:11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TVZZ

I'm trying to load maps for the first time on my new Garmin 62. In the tutorial, under "Loading the maps with BaseCamp on a PC", where #4 says, "Install Maps", I don't get that option. I get "Show on Map", "Check for Device Software Update", etc.. I cannot find "Install Maps anywhere under any of the menu headings, etc.. It is BaseCamp 4.1.1, which I just downloaded. Am I totally out to lunch, or what?
THANKS for any help you can provide!
TVZZ

Seldom

Sounds like you may be missing Mapinstall.exe.   It is an independent application that BaseCamp calls to load maps onto your GPSr.  Try re-installing BaseCamp and see if that fixes things.

TVZZ

Thanks Seldom, but I reinstalled and still get the same result. I must be doing something totally stupid. Here (attached) is a screenshot of what I have. By the way, I'm running Windows 7, if that matters. It's 64-bit, so I'm planning to first load the 32-bit map as recommended.
Thanks again.

popej

Install maps option is available if you right click on a folder under a device. Alternatively you can run Mapinstall from Windows Start menu.

TVZZ

Popej, unless I'm totally confused, as the screenshot above shows, (having right-clicked my Garmin), Install maps did not show up. However, manually running Mapinstall worked, and now Install maps does show up as described!?!? Anyway, I got it to work and am all set. THANKS TO ALL!

popej

Sorry, I haven't noticed popup window on thumbnail.

I think at the moment BaseCamp is displaying map from your GPS and that's why sending this map is disabled. Change selected map (pull down list with current title "Worldwide Autoroute...") to any map installed on PC and you should be able to get "install maps" in popup menu.