GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

size of Micro sd card can use Garmin Map 62s

Started by nowacc, February 04, 2013, 06:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nowacc

I was wondering what size micro sd card a person can use in a Garmin Map 62s. The owner manual says 4 gb. I have a 8 gb card in it now with no problems. Has anybody used anything bigger? I just use it for navigation uses.
THANKS

Indrid Cold

SoFlHiker

So why does Garmin state that my GPSMAP 62S must use only a 4GB SD card?

Seldom

Quote from: SoFlHiker on May 22, 2013, 12:42:20 PM

To elaborate on popej's link:
4GB is the limit of vector maps a 62x or 78x can access.  If you have a larger card than that the space will need to be used for raster maps, either Birdseye or CustomMaps.

Red90

Quote from: Seldom on May 22, 2013, 01:43:48 PM
To elaborate on popej's link:
4GB is the limit of vector maps a 62x or 78x can access.  If you have a larger card than that the space will need to be used for raster maps, either Birdseye or CustomMaps.
That is not true.  Individual files can't be larger than 4GB.  This is a limitation of the FAT32 file system.  However, you can have multiple map files.  A run around 12 GB of vector maps on my GPS.

Seldom

Good to know.  And, since a 60CSX can only handle a single gmapsupp.img it will only be able to work with 4GB file.  But 12GB is a lot of maps, like all of Canada at 20 foot contours?

Boyd

I have found that startup time increases when you have a lot of maps stored on the gps. Even more so if you have a lot of BirdsEye imagery. For awhile, I used a 16gb card that had over 14gb of BirdsEye. It would seem like forever to start both my Oregon and Montana with this card inserted.

That got very frustrating on the Montana, since it crashed frequently with the early software and it would take a long time for it to come back up. In the meantime I missed the turn I was supposed to make.  ;)

I only keep the stuff I really need on the Montana now and it starts up quickly.  :)

Indrid Cold

Quote from: SoFlHiker on May 22, 2013, 12:42:20 PM
I have no idea what you are referring to.

The facts:
1. It doesn't use a SD card. It uses a microSD card & can also use a microSD HD card.
2. It can use any capacity card. These range up to a 32 GB.

Angelina44

Yeah, 32 GB is enough capacity and necessary too..