News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Yosemite Topo .gmapi file

Started by mmarmole, February 01, 2013, 07:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmarmole

Hello,
I downloaded the Yosemite topo map for Mac.
After unzipping the .tar file i get a YosemiteTopo.gmapi folder but not a .gmapi file.
None of the attached files works as installer to the BaseCamp.
Help please!
mmarmole

Indrid Cold

Do you have BaseCamp for Macintosh installed? If so, you don't unzip the .gmapi download, you just double click it and MapManager will install the mapset into BaseCamp

mmarmole

yes, I do have the latest version 3.3.2 (3.3.2) of basecamp installed for MAC.
Wen I double clic the zip file it just opens a new folder "YosemiteTopo.gmapi" but no installation occurs.

Boyd

If basecamp is properly installed, this is what you should see (example with one of my own maps). Note that the .gmapi looks like a file and not a folder. When you double click it, MapManager should start.

Seems to me we had another thread like this, and when the user re-installed Basecamp it was fixed. I suggest that you throw away the .gmapi file, reinstall Basecamp and restart your Mac. Then, extract the .gmapi from the .tgz file. Hopefully it will then work properly.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: mmarmole on February 02, 2013, 09:26:19 AM
yes, I do have the latest version 3.3.2 (3.3.2) of basecamp installed for MAC.
Wen I double clic the zip file it just opens a new folder "YosemiteTopo.gmapi" but no installation occurs.
Believe that v4.10 is the current Macintosh version (at least that what I have installed on my Mac)?

You can check here:
http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4449

Boyd

That is an oddity of the App Store. It shows 3.3.2 as the newest version.  >:( Maybe Garmin has stopped submitting Basecamp to the App Store? Or maybe just a big backlog of apps to be approved by Apple?

But regardless, 3.3.2 should work properly for installing maps. I think the issue someone had before was that MapManager was not properly installed along with Basecamp. Use the link Indrid posted to update.

Only one caveat, there have been issues with the Windows version of 4.10 and Garmin pulled it from their site. Not sure if the Mac version also has these issues - Basecamp would crash if connected to certain models of the Nuvi automotive devices.

[edit]Just checked and the developers were suggesting that you not install 4.10 until problems could be resolved. It's not clear whether or not they have: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?33938-BaseCamp-version-4-1&p=163230#post163230

But you can download the previous version here: http://www8.garmin.com/software/BaseCampforMac_404.dmg

Indrid Cold

Actually, v4.10 hasn't been pulled from their site, check for yourself:
http://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp

It has been unlinked from the auto-update from within BaseCamp.

BTW: I just transferred some waypoints from my Macintosh to a Windows7Ult system via the Cloud Storage and  it seemed to be working well.

Boyd

Using Windows, I got an error when trying to copy 500 waypoints to the cloud but was able to transfer smaller groups. The developers said they would look into this. I am reluctant to use that service until Garmin publishes a privacy policy, which AFAIK they haven't. They have a pretty detailed policy for Garmin Adventures that gives them the right to do whatever they like with your data. Hopefully this doesn't also apply to the cloud....

But none of this is really related to the OP's problem  :)  Even older versions of Basecamp should work properly with .gmapi files. One quick way to troubleshoot - look in your applications folder. You should see three programs

Garmin BaseCamp.app
Garmin MapInstall.app
Garmin MapManager.app

Specificially, you need MapManger to install maps. If it is missing, there was a problem with your installation.

mmarmole

this is what I am getting:
On top the downloaded file. when double-click, the folder in the middle and below what I get when double-clicking the folder.

Indrid Cold

Your issue is the .app that is decompressing the .tgz file, or not having MapInstall installed or associated with the .gmapi extension.

You should be seeing this:

Boyd

Did you do what I suggested above? Is Garmin MapManager in your applications folder? Have you reinstalled Basecamp. The fact that the .gmapi appears as a folder instead of a file means that there's a problem with your Basecamp installation. That is really the only thing that can cause this.

mmarmole

Ok, now it works!! 8)
The problem is indeed the app file 3.3.2
I downloaded version 4.1.0 from the Garmin page out of your link (Indrid).
Thank you Indrid and Boyd