GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Somethin' Stupid - buying topo on SD

Started by Perigee, January 14, 2013, 10:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perigee

I think I goofed up. Having heard that the Etrex 20 basemap, like all basemaps, is miserable, I went ahead and jumped the gun on purchasing the 24K topo for my region on SD.

And then I found out about the whole birdseye image thing, which seems extremely groovy.

And there's where the problem starts. Maybe.

Given a choice, I'd biggie-size my sd card and go to SAT image buffet like a fat man quitting a diet.  But now I have my GARMIN SD map card stuck in there. I suspect they aren't generous with their unused capacity. So -

1) Will I be able to take the map from the SD card and transfer it to a Big Gulp Sandisk, so I can add the croploads of pretty tiles I'm anticipating?

failing that,

2) can I shift the map from the card to the internal memory, so I can free up the SD slot?

failing that,

3) Am I just completely boned and should just get over it, or is there a 3rd option I haven't figured yet?

Thanks for the assit!

- Bob

Boyd

1. No, sorry, that won't work. The pre-loaded maps are permanently locked to the original card. You can copy to another card but will get a "can't unlock map" error message.

2. No, sorry, same problem.

3. Where did you buy the card? Why not explain the problem and see if they will allow an exchange for the DVD version? If not, contact Garmin support (by phone) and be very nice. They have been know to authorize an exchange like this before, it's a common problem.