GPSFileDepot.com

Loading .img files into Basecamp with MapSetToolKit

Started by llewokja, January 14, 2013, 08:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

llewokja

Used the tutorial on this site to try and load .img files into Basecamp and thus my GPS unit (Garmin 60CSx).  It "kinda" works EXCEPT when the software (mapsettoolkit) asks for a .typ file - I notice that about 20 of them have been generated and none of them seem to be the choice that will generate the map into Basecamp in a useable form.  Mapsettoolkit does not allow for the slection of multilple .typ files.  CONFUSED!

Boyd

What map are you trying to use? That tutorial has misled many people. It is something that MAPMAKERS use and ordinary users DON'T NEED most of the time.

If you are downloading a map from this site, go to its page - look at the Desert Southwest map, for example: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/518/

Look at the row of icons just below "Price: free". Notice the icon with an arrow pointing down that says "installer". Any map, such as this one, that includes an installer does not require the use of MapsetToolkit.

If your map has an installer, simply run it - see this tutorial: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-open-maps-in-garmin-basecamp/

llewokja

Thanks!  I was using Colorado Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) for offroad ATV use in the Leadville and Pikes Peak Ranger Districts.  The Colorado Parks and Wildlife Dept has .img files for download...no installer.

Boyd

Since those maps aren't hosted on this site, maybe you should contact Parks and Wildlife dept? As for the tutorial, if you have proper .img files then it will work. But not all .img files are the same. .img files are actually "containers" that can hold multiple things.

One type of .img file is a "tile" which is combined with others using MapsetToolkit to create a map that will work in Mapsource. Another type of .img file actually contains an entire mapset and can simply be dropped into the Garmin folder on a GPS and used. That type of file won't work in MapsetToolkit.

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on January 14, 2013, 03:15:36 PM
As for the tutorial, if you have proper .img files then it will work. But not all .img files are the same. .

Depends on the compiler.  MapSetToolKit can use cgpsmapper to compile TDB files from IMG files compiled with cgpsmapper.  IMG files compiled with mkgmap won't unless you have compiled a TDB file separately with mkgmap.

llewokja

::)  Parks and Wildlife sent me here to GPSFileDepot.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: llewokja on January 14, 2013, 02:42:56 PM
Thanks!  I was using Colorado Motor Vehicle Use Maps (MVUM) for offroad ATV use in the Leadville and Pikes Peak Ranger Districts.  The Colorado Parks and Wildlife Dept has .img files for download...no installer.
post a link to the maps you are asking about so someone here can give them a look see

maps4gps

I get the feeling the img files are not Garmin vector format img files.

A web search for MVUM sent me to the USFS and staythetrail which had downloadable pdf files.  stt also had recommendations on how to convert to kmz format for Garmin GPSrs.

Following a few of the dropdowns at CO P&WD, I did not find any mapfiles.
Did CO P&WD say what we should be able to do that they were not willing/able to do?

llewokja

Boyd

As I posted in the beginning, .img files are containers that can hold many things. I looked at one of those files and it contains 9 separate .img files that each have their own .typ file. My guess would be that Mapwel was used to create these since it binds a .typ file to each .img file in a mapset. These files are a little "weird" and not directly compatible with MapsetToolkit (we have discussed the technical points before here).

So the bottom line is that the files on that site are designed to simply drop into your GPS and use. They aren't compatible with MapsetToolkit and cannot be viewed in Basecamp. Now you have an older model GPS (60csx) than can only use one map file at a time. So the correct procedure will be to choose the .img file you want and then change its name to gmapsupp.img. Copy it to the Garmin folder on your memory card and you can then activate it with the Map Setup menu on the 60csx.

If you want to use another of these maps, you would just repeat the procedure above. Unfortunately you can only use one at a time. Newer Garmin models would allow you to load all these files without changing their names, but that won't help you unfortunately.

maps4gps

Also note the provided link is to the USFS and not for CO Parks & Wildlife as stated in the post.