GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Corrections to Arizona Topo trails

Started by xchiker, January 05, 2013, 09:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xchiker

I am using the Arizona Topo map for extensive hiking in the Sedona area. The map is a great help and I appreciate all of the excellent work that went into its creation. I have found however that some of the trails are not where they are shown on the map.  In addition several of the trails are NOT trails, but someone's route that involves climbing or swimming to traverse it.  This is misleading to users unfamiliar with the area. I use a Garmin Colorado and Basecamp. I compare my tracks with Google Earth and have found the correlation to be very good in this area.  In most cases, I correct my GPS track to the trail visible on Google earth especially in canyons where satellite reception is poor.
1. Is there a method by which I and others could submit corrections?  If so in what format.
2. Is there any way that I can remove or correct erroneous trails on my copy.  I would be happy with the ability to remove all trails from the map.  Before doing so, I would trace the trails that I think are correct and save them as routes.
3. I color code my tracks by type of object IE Road (black), Trail (green), Improved Route (Yellow), Cross country (includes climbs, canyoneering, etc Red) and planned trips (routes White). This would seem to be a great addition to the map's useability.  Different line types could also be used.

Seldom

Don't know if I'm speaking for others, but I'd appreciate it if you would upload your tracks to Openstreetmap and apply the corrections there.  I use OSM as road and trail data for my Desert Southwest map.

xchiker

Open Street Maps (OSM) are street maps not topo maps which are what most serious hikers want to use for trail information.  OSM does have some trail routes shown, but is quite incomplete at this time. I would much prefer to make the corrections to a free topo map and feel that Arizona Topo is the best available.  I would have no objections to then adding the information to OSM. I have tried to contact the authors (OZ) of Arizona Topo, but so far have not had any contact.  Any help in contacting them would be appreciated.

Boyd

Oz is Dan Bloomberg, the owner/admin of GPSFileDepot. If he is not responding to a PM then I'm sure it's because he's too busy.

But really, the free maps here "are what they are" and with a few exceptions they aren't updated on any regular basis. I think Seldom's suggestion is a good one since, as he points out, some of the mapmakers use OSM data for their topo maps and this is one way to have some input.

Perhaps it's time for you to learn to make your own maps and share your local knowledge with others?  :D

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on January 29, 2013, 10:23:02 AM
Perhaps it's time for you to learn to make your own maps and share your local knowledge with others?  :D
+1 8)

babj615

I recently moved to Arizona from Washington state. I was very spoiled with the NW Topo and NW Trails maps from Switchbacks.

Seldom provides the Desert Southwest map, which I have used when vacationing in northern AZ and Southern UT, but it only cover a portion of AZ.

If no other options present themselves, I may have to take on the project of creating a Topo/Trail maps series for AZ.

I will be learning from scratch, so any help/guidance offered will be greatly appreciated!

Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

xchiker

Boyd. thanks for the info.
Maybe I didn't make myself clear in the first post. I am already spending more time than I want on the computer! I like to hike and while doing that, record my tracks.  I thought that by starting with a good map like Arizona topo that it would be an improvement to correct the mistakes and duplicates that are currently on the map and in some way code the trails so that someone like babj615 isn't misled thinking that a crosscountry route shown on the map is actually a trail.  In addition the trails would then be routable if desired since they would be actual tracks/routes.  I believe that I can accomplish that much, but duplicating OZ's excellent work seems a waste.

babj615 and others 
Sorry if my post gave the wrong impression.  Arizona topo is the best AZ hiking topo map available.  It is better than Garmin's topo which is generally not up to date. Download it and try it.  I would just like to see it be as accurate, complete and up to date as possible.

-Oz-

I love getting new trails.  Trails are difficult.  The place I'd like to get the data from is hikearizona.com but they never responded allowing me to take their "map" and combine it with mine.

Their trails are all very accurate.  The errors you are likely seeing are because the trails were from forest service data.  I included some paths from dirt biking and my own hiking.

To answer #2, no easy way.

Not sure how i missed the PM (because it didn't pop up).

Roads are the only thing that I don't spend a lot of time "hand correcting" (even more difficult since I don't live in Arizona anymore).
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

Quote from: xchiker on January 29, 2013, 02:35:51 PM
In addition the trails would then be routable if desired since they would be actual tracks/routes.  I believe that I can accomplish that much, but duplicating OZ's excellent work seems a waste.

My thought on this is you could easily make a transparent "overlay" and I could then cut out trails... or work on a "quick merge".
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

xchiker

It seems to me that using a transparent trail map that is then translated/merged into a new copy of Arizona Topo is not the best nor easiest way to keep the system up to date.  Trails are in a constant state of flux with new ones being added or modified and others being blocked off. Data errors should also be corrected as quickly as practical.  The work involved in updating the current system necessitates that updates be limited.  In addition, there is only one standard Garmin line type for trails (walkways/trails or sometimes unpaved roads is used), which leaves color coding for trail types as the only option. I have had difficulty finding a way to add color to the line types when converted to polylines.

I am currently looking at GPX2IMG which seems to allow color coding.  It appears that I would have to handle each color (trail type) separately using "TYP files editor". That means many extra steps just for the colors.  i have also tried using GPSMapEdit to make the transparency, but so far haven't been able to color code the polylines.  Does any one know of a way of maintaining the color of the route/track when converted to polylines in GPSMapEdit?
Is there a different and better method or program for producing a transparency?

I suggest that the best solution is to use the one I have been using in Basecamp.  Use Arizona Topo as the base map (without trails). Create a data base (or file folder) consisting of route/paths of individual trails with the number of point in each limited so that they could be transferred to most GPSr units from Basecamp. Basecamp can load individual, multiple, groups or all trails from the folder so that each user can load whatever he desires.  The database can easily be updated and color coding is straight forward.  As much information as desired can be included in the description for each trail and is easily available to all Basecamp users.  This info could include the Agency, the allowed uses, the author, connecting trails, trail head, condition, etc.  Grouping the trails by the 45 map segments of Arizona Topo would make it easier to find the desired trails in an area, allow downloading of topo and trail blocks as a unit, and also reduce the problem of conflicting trail names between areas. Users can easily change the color and line width in Basecamp for easier viewing and when loaded on the GPS unit, the trails are available for track back.

Although Basecamp is the preferred program to accomplish this, MapSource can also be used.