GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

ME topo map

Started by savage, August 18, 2008, 05:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smr260

No, I have a new computer with 4GB of memory, so I don't think that's it.  I figured it was something with the unit conversion, but I'm not sure if it's something on my end or in the map as created.

maps4gps

I downloaded and looked at the ME map.  In MapSource when you zoom in enough you will see a double set of contours for some 'tiles'; one with the proper numbers for the elevation in feet and another with slightly different nodes and numbers 3.2xxx higher (the ratio being meters converted to feet).  I would guess somehow there are two sets of contours and GNIS points in some of the 'tiles' - one with proper elevations and one with a second conversion of meters to feet (the original NED 10m and recent GNIS are in meters - some builds of GM know when to do the conversion, in others it was left out for some reason).  Two files may have been merged, or different contouring options were tried and the unwanted one(s) not removed before the contours were saved or .mp file created.

-Oz-

I had this problem in Arizona.  Since I don't use Global Mapper to make my contours anymore I thought nothing of it.

You need to make sure when it comes in its creating everything in the right unit.

I don't really remember perfectly what I did but I had to remake a bunch of contours and make sure in global mapper the units were set to english (or metric can't remember which it was trial and error).
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

savage

I had a lot of problem with the contours and Global Mapper. In fact I could not use GM to finish the map, it would hang in some area so I switch to another tool.
I will double check my contours and try to regenerate them. The Northern part of the state should be OK because it is where I use GM.

-Oz-

Did you use gdal_contour?

If not what did you end up using?
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

savage

I do not remember. I think I used dem2topo. I know I had all sorts of problems in the southern part of the state.

savage

I am now finishing up NH and as soon as I release NH I will redo the contour on ME.

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

smr260

Yeah looking forward to it.

savage

There is a new version of the Maine topo map available here: http://www.gameandfishnetwork.com/News/article/sid=14.html

And this one was not an easy one to do. Let me know if there are bugs.

-Oz-

savage, would you be interested in code to cut the shapefiles to the state border exactly?
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

savage

Fantastic work, 3 down! Do you have plans to do other states in the NE?
I do not know which one I will do next. Maybe New York state but that is not NE

savage

Quote from: -Oz- on January 05, 2009, 08:38:19 PM
savage, would you be interested in code to cut the shapefiles to the state border exactly?
I do not know. I was thinking merging several NE maps into a larger one instead?

-Oz-

Quote from: savage on January 06, 2009, 02:25:52 AM
Quote from: -Oz- on January 05, 2009, 08:38:19 PM
I do not know. I was thinking merging several NE maps into a larger one instead?
That would actually probably be even better to do all of that area at once, Maine, Mass, Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island (thats gotta be quick), Connecticut and maybe even New York.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

maps4gps

ah ... show some consideration for little rhodie

My current runs (in progress) for 30x60 areas using Census hydro and transportation plus GNIS result in .img files of size:

Providence - 5.92Mb

and for 765 'quads' west of 102 degrees longitude:
Los Angeles      - 9.7Mb
Santa Ana        - 8.6Mb
San Bernardino - 6.7Mb
Long Beach       - 6.1Mb

Seattle              -5.89Mb
Tacoma             -5.7Mb
Mesa  AZ           -5.4Mb

Boston is 9.2Mb and others may be as high as 11Mb

We all need to remember that due to more precip (hydro) and people (transportation), the average file size in the eastern US will be larger.