GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin Maps and Garmin Charts, what is the difference?

Started by maceammon, December 11, 2012, 12:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maceammon

Hello,

I'm new to this site and using 3rd party or user created maps in my GPS unit so if I ask something that's already been answered in the past please forgive me.

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 640 and I was trying to find something that would give me more detail for the local canal system in Cape Coral, Fl (lots of Bass hide there) in the boating mode of the unit ( the marine base map that came with the unit and the Lakes Vision card I bought from Garmin were useless for that purpose). I found a FAQ on the Garmin website that said the 640 is capable of using Topo maps in both the Auto and Boating modes. In the Custom Maps section of this website I found two Florida Topographic Map sets that will install into the Map Source Software and then can be downloaded onto an SD card for my unit. Both have check marks in the marine column, yet only one (Florida Topo by Mapsbank v1.00 Map) will function in boating mode (the other gives the dreaded "Map format not supported" warning when the boating mode is activated).

Why does this happen? What's the difference between the boating .img files and the auto .img files and is there a way to overcome this in the Map Source software? I used the "Maps" function to make a map set for just Cape Coral from each set, but the results were the same when I tried to use a set from each of them.