GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

GPS recommendation

Started by jwmci, May 10, 2009, 07:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwmci

I'm seeking a GPS unit for backpacking and would appreciate any thoughts. I'm a Mac user. I'm looking at the Vista HCx and maybe the 60Cx (or another 60 model).

Ease of use is important. I love the idea of the Oregon 400t but it seems to be slow/buggy based on reviews.

Thanks.

Indrid Cold

Between the two listed, the Vista HCx is lighter, has a compass and altimeter, and gets better life on a set of dry cells. If you are looking to lighten your load by a couple of ounces, it's the way to go.

-Oz-

On the other hand the 60csx has a larger screen...

I have the 60csx and love it; on the other hand the vista hcx didn't exist at the time.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Indrid Cold

The GPSMAP60 CSx is the Vista HCx's big brother, and has the compass and altimeter. It also has a couple of other features missing from the Vista HCx that may or may not be of use, such as an RS-232 serial I/O port and and input for an external antenna.

-Oz-

Chances are very good you won't need an external receiver; the antennas/chips in both those units are wonderful.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!