GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

New here

Started by dustinfox, December 04, 2012, 12:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustinfox

Hello... another newbie here.  New to my Garmin etrex 20 but also new to GPS in general.  I haven't bought any maps yet from Garmin.  I wanted to see what was available here first.  I donloaded the topo map for my state (NH) along with the "My Trails" map.  It didn't take to long before I realized that my unit will not overlay the trail map onto my topo map... bummer :(

I was wondering though, if I did purchase the Garmin 24k Topo map, does it offer any additional functionality over and above the free version?  Or would I just have a larger map than I have now.?  Also, if I purchase a Garmin street map now, and later decide to buy the Garmin Topo map, will I have duplicate functionality?  In other words, would the Garmin topo map double as a street navigator as well?  Or do the topo and street maps have differing functionality?

Thanks in advance for advice :)

Boyd

I think you probably did something wrong - you should be able to use MyTrails and the topo map together on the GPS. They cannot be used together on the computer however.

Garmin's 24k topo maps have routable roads and can give you turn by turn driving directions. Almost none of the topo maps here can do that, and even if they did they would not have the full functionality of "real" Garmin maps when it comes to searching for addresses, businesses and other points of interest.

The 24k topo 's use Navteq data, which is the same as City Navigator. The difference is that City Navigator is updated 4 times a year, the topo's are not updated on any kind of regular schedule. So if you want the most up-to-date maps you will want City Navigator. There are some other differences - the topo maps don't have road speed limit data or lane assistance - but your eTrex doesn't support those anyway.

Garmin topo maps also contain DEM - digital elevation model - data. This produces shaded 3d terrain on the GPS and full 3d views in Basecamp. It also can give you elevation profiles of routes and tracks. None of the maps on this site have that feature, it is proprietary to Garmin,

dustinfox

Quote from: Boyd on December 04, 2012, 01:05:39 PM
I think you probably did something wrong - you should be able to use MyTrails and the topo map together on the GPS. They cannot be used together on the computer however.

Garmin's 24k topo maps have routable roads and can give you turn by turn driving directions. Almost none of the topo maps here can do that, and even if they did they would not have the full functionality of "real" Garmin maps when it comes to searching for addresses, businesses and other points of interest.

The 24k topo 's use Navteq data, which is the same as City Navigator. The difference is that City Navigator is updated 4 times a year, the topo's are not updated on any kind of regular schedule. So if you want the most up-to-date maps you will want City Navigator. There are some other differences - the topo maps don't have road speed limit data or lane assistance - but your eTrex doesn't support those anyway.

Garmin topo maps also contain DEM - digital elevation model - data. This produces shaded 3d terrain on the GPS and full 3d views in Basecamp. It also can give you elevation profiles of routes and tracks. None of the maps on this site have that feature, it is proprietary to Garmin,

Thanks for the info.  Very helpful explanation! Not sure what I am doing wrong with the trails.  My etrex menu lets me select a single map, and when I do, the current map is replaced by the one I select.

According to the Garmin web site, City Navigator maps are not eligible for updates and a new map must be purchased if you want updated content.

Boyd

Garmin's site is really confusing. But if you purchase the DVD version of City Navigator, it is eligible for updates. The download and pre-loaded data cards are not updatable. Of course, updates cost extra. The 24k topo maps cannot be updated. And that doesn't matter much, because Garmin doesn't release new versions of these on any regular schedule.

So if you buy the topo map, the roads and POI's will be something like (maybe) the 2008 version of City Navigator.

Something sounds odd about what you describe with maps on the GPS, but since I don't have an eTrex 20 I can't help. We have other members here who have them, so maybe they will be able to help you troubleshoot.

Seldom

The Etrex should let you select multiple maps, but you'll only be able to see more than one if the one you select is a "transparent" overlay.

dustinfox

Quote from: Boyd on December 04, 2012, 02:35:26 PM
Garmin's site is really confusing. But if you purchase the DVD version of City Navigator, it is eligible for updates. The download and pre-loaded data cards are not updatable. Of course, updates cost extra. The 24k topo maps cannot be updated. And that doesn't matter much, because Garmin doesn't release new versions of these on any regular schedule.

So if you buy the topo map, the roads and POI's will be something like (maybe) the 2008 version of City Navigator.

Something sounds odd about what you describe with maps on the GPS, but since I don't have an eTrex 20 I can't help. We have other members here who have them, so maybe they will be able to help you troubleshoot.

Thanks...  I was doing something wrong.  I thought I was selecting the trail map but I was not.  ::)

I see the udatable DVD now on Garmins web site.  I also would need to buy the more expensive 50 state version to get the DVD updatable version.  I really only need the lower 49 so it probably makes sense to get that one and just re-buy it every few years.  Is there any way to find out when city navigator is updated?  It would be nice to download it immediatley after an update rather than immediately before :)

Boyd

You are right, the "lower 49" version is only available by download and can't be updated. For insight as to when the maps come out, see this: http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=17527

BeautifulLo

Iam newbie here too. Thanks for the info.