GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Multiple Maps

Started by JGRA, December 02, 2012, 06:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JGRA

Hi, I'm new here and new to my Oregon 450 and have a question.
I would like to load multiple maps to one card, for instance Texas Topo, Arkansas Topo, Kentucky Topo etc. is that possible or do I need a card for each map? If it is possible how would I do that?
Any guidance here would be appreciated.

Boyd

It is no problem at all. Just use Basecamp/MapInstall and it will take care of all the details. See the tutorial here: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/#pcbasecamp

JGRA

Thanks Boyd I'm am going to give it a try tonight.

JGRA

I got all of the maps downloaded to Base camp on my computer and I'm ready to load them to a micro SD card. My question is do I put city navigator on the SD along with the topo maps from this site or just load the topos to the SD and don't worry about C N because it is loaded on the Unit? (Oregon 450)
Thanks in advance.

Seldom

If CN is already in internal memory, you don't need to put it on the card.  Your OR should find maps from both the card and internal memory.

JGRA

Thanks seldom that was my question I appreciate your help.

JGRA

Would it hurt to put CN on the card with it also being on the internal memory? Conflicts?
That way I would have a back up of CN also!

Seldom

Either internal or card is fine.  I generally use the card, in order to leave internal memory free.

JGRA

popej

No problems with both. GPS will ignore second copy.

JGRA

Thank you all ;)
I got the maps loaded to card and the card installed in the Oregon.
I left CN on the unit and made a seperate back up of it on a seperate card so I would have a back up just in case.
If I understand this correctly if I load additional maps to the same card the existing maps on that card will be overwritten?
If that is the case you need to reload any of the old maps that you want to have access to?

Boyd

If you use Mapsource, which is old and has been discontinued, it will always save the map in a file named gmapsupp.img which results in any old map being replaced by the new one. However if you use Basecamp and MapInstall, it will put each map in a separate file and give them descriptive names.

JGRA

Thanks Boyd
One last question so I'm sure I understand.
If I have a card loaded with say Montana Topo, Wyo. Topo, and LA Topo and wanted to add NV topo to that card all I would do is load the NV Topo, and all of the maps already loaded on the card would remain on the card and there would be no need to reload them?

Boyd

That's how it is supposed to work with the current version of Basecamp/MapInstall. Personally, I haven't sent any maps to my GPS(es) since they added this feature during the past year. Give it a try and see for yourself.

omegaman

I'm guessing that even using Basecamp or Mapinstall, you still can't use multiple maps on a Rino 530 hcx, correct?