GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin Montana Zoom Levels

Started by Bowman, November 21, 2012, 06:39:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowman

Was wondering what effects do zoom levels have on providing  a detailed map. And when I select shaded relief, the green background and the contour lines are not very defined and hard to read on Topo map. Any help would be appreciated.

Boyd

What map are you using? Only Garmin products have shaded terrain - the basemap, US Topo 100k and the 24k topo series. If you are using one of the free maps from this site, that setting will have no effect at all. If using one of Garmin's maps, turning on shaded terrain often makes the map hard to read. I leave it turned off on my Montana.

The landcover menu item is worth playing with too, it controls whether shaded areas shown on some maps, and it may make the map more readable if turned off.

For the other zoom level settings, you will need to try and observe what happens. When I use City Navigator on my Montana, none of the zoom level settings seem to have any effect at all. For most people, just setting them to automatic is best.

Bowman

Boyd, How do I get to the Land Cover menu?

Boyd

Setup > Map > Advanced Setup > Zoom Levels > Land Cover

Bowman

Boyd, If 'im not mistaken, I believe you frequent the Garmin forum also. I posted a few post concerning some issues and settings on the Monatan series. If so, hope you can answer them for me. Most of the post are under Garmin Connect and one is under Windows Basecamp. Thanks in advance.

Boyd

I don't know anything about Garmin Connect, have never used it and am not even sure what it is. Sorry.  :D

Will try to check the posts on Garmin's forums, but I am not around there so often these days.

Bowman

Thanks Boyd. I sent you two PM's just now.