News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Another new guy here

Started by smwann, November 18, 2012, 06:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smwann

Hello guys,
I purchased my first GPS (Garmin Rino 650) and was wondering if you guys could help me out with an issue.  I was able to load the 24k west and south west maps with out an issues.  However, i have a disc image of the 24k national parks and i cant for the life of me understand how to get the map install program to recognize the .iso file or the disc i made with disk utility (I am using a Mac by the way :).)  When i open the contents of the disc i don't see an image file or a gmap file mostly just .exe files (which doesn't do me any good on a mac).  any advice on how to get these national forests onto my gps would be appreciated. 

A side question.  I recently went on a trip to the sequoias and base camp recognized some of the roads up there,  However, when I got up there and used my GPS that level of granularity wasn't there.  There were roads on base camp I couldn't see on the gps.  Is that normal or do i have some settings off on my GPS or something?
thanks.

Boyd

It sounds like you have a copy of an older Windows-only map and the .exe file(s) are part of the installer. What was the source of the disk image? Is it a copy of a Garmin product? If so, and if you did not purchase it then it's an illegal copy and we are not going to be able to help you.

A lot of things could have caused the other problem. I would suggest troubleshooting this at home where you can have the GPS right next to your computer and compare what you see on both. Make sure that map detail is set to the maximum on the GPS and zoom way in (to something like .2 miles). Also make sure that you have actually transfered the whole map to the device and not just a portion of it.

smwann

Thanks Boyd.  I actually got the discs from the guy who had the Garmin Rino.  He just threw in a couple of things with it and the maps were some of those things.

I have been comparing the Rino to base camp and it when I zoom in I just see brown (like dirt).  No definition or dirt roads like i see on base camp.  I did check the Rino and the detail is set to maximum.  How do I verify the entire map has been moved over to the Rino?

thanks for the help so far. 

Boyd

It sounds like you are just looking at the basemap on the Rino. That would imply that either you didn't send the map or you only sent part of it. Did you check to make sure the desired map has been enabled in the setup menu on the device? Not familiar with the Rino so I don't know how to do that. But there is probably a Map Info menu under Map Setup. Be sure that any other installed maps are disabled in this menu.

With it connected to your computer, look in the Garmin folder. What files do you see there and how large are they? Try installing again using this tutorial and make sure you have selected the entire map: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/#mac

Regarding the other disks, there might be a way to install the maps with your Mac but since their origin is questionable, I don't think it would be appropriate to help - sorry. If they are legitimate versions of Garmin products, then the seller should have provided you with the original disks and packaging.