GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

NSIS installer and Windows 8

Started by hntr, November 15, 2012, 04:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hntr

Is anybody having problems installing maps on a Windows 8 machine?

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Seldom

Quote from: hntr on November 15, 2012, 04:18:39 PM
Is anybody having problems installing maps on a Windows 8 machine?
Are you?  Have you read any reports of? 

hntr

64 bit.

I think the problem is that Windows 8 really, really discourages users from running an .exe file downloaded from the internet.

-Oz-

I agree. if you click more info it definitely will let you do it they just want everything locked down.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

pisgahmtb

I've tried multiple times to install the NC Topo map without any success on my Windows 8 64 bit laptop... 

maps4gps

Did you first install a 32-bit mapset?

Did you see "There is an issue with the 64-bit installer used in the PC version of this mapset. If this is the first mapset you are installing on a Windows 7 64 bit PC, you will need to FIRST install a mapset which used a 32-bit installer, 'My trails ....' http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53 works and is small in size."

If this is also an issue in Windows 8 64-bit, I will revise that verbage.

What exactly does ' ... without any success ' mean?  As is what did you do and what happened and what did not happen?

pisgahmtb

After I install the map (NCTopo11) it isn't showing up in Mapsource or Basecamp.  I just used the MapSetToolKit to try and install it manually (I have the tbd file) and I received the message "can not insert a mapset in mapsource".

I used this topo on my Windows 7 64 bit machine and it worked beautifully.  I now have a Windows 8 64 bit machine and have not been able to get the topo to work in either MapSource or BaseCamp.

Here is the name of the topo file that I am trying to install. 130-8200-north_carolina_topo_install. Thanks for your help!

pisgahmtb

My Trails is showing in MapSource and BaseCamp. This is progress!  If I reinstall the NC Topo map will it show now as well?

Boyd

Do you have the old machine or a backup? If it were me (heh, someday it will be...) I would uninstall everything you've put on the new machine, then use GMTK to move your maps, then reinstall Mapsource/Basecamp if needed. http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html

pisgahmtb

IT WORKED!!!! IT WORKED!!!  THANK YOU SO MUCH!! WOOHOO!! ;D (all said with a big smile while jumping up and down)!! 

pisgahmtb

Quote from: Boyd on June 27, 2013, 11:56:31 AM
Do you have the old machine or a backup? If it were me (heh, someday it will be...) I would uninstall everything you've put on the new machine, then use GMTK to move your maps, then reinstall Mapsource/Basecamp if needed. http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html
The motherboard died in that machine... I had to start from scratch...  everything is fixed now.  I installed MyTrails first, then the NCtopo11 and it is showing in both programs now. 

Boyd

Glad you got it working. Now you should seriously think about keeping a current backup of your new machine.  ;)