GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Map download and viewing in Basecamp

Started by dpetervan, November 12, 2012, 07:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpetervan

I successfully downloaded the Northeast TOPO United States Part1 from the GPS FileDepot.
However, not sure about the next step, that is, how to "see it".  I downloaded the map, and it is stored in a folder which contains hundreds of zipped files.  I then downloaded Basecamp.  I read the tutorial on how to open a map in Basecamp, but am having difficulty getting Basecamp to find the map.  The drop down menu does not show it, and the "Import" function is greyed out.
I am sure I am missing something basic, but am hoping for some advice.  I wonder if it has anything to do with the files being zipped?  If so, when I right click on the folder, there is no option available to "Extract all".
I am running Windows 7, 64 bit.
Thank you very much for any help!
Peter Van

Boyd

If you ran the installer then that is all you need to do. You cannot "import" a map into Basecamp, it must be installed. But there is a known issue with some maps on Win 7/64 - see if this thread helps: http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,2320.0.html

dpetervan

Boyd:
Thank you for the response!  The thread was helpful.  Not sure why it worked, but I went ahead and downloaded the "My Trails" map.  It installed and I was able to open it in Base Camp, however, it seemed that the entire map did not load.....anyway, I then closed Base Camp, then ran the installer for the map I am interested in (NE TOPO) once again, and this time, the installer went through a process of unzipping all the files automatically, and when complete, I opened Base Camp and was now able to see the map successfully via the dropdown menu!
Obviously, this process is not very intuitive, but nonetheless, successful!
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!
Must be that the installer for the NE TOPO is not designed for Windows 7/64????
Peter Van

Boyd

Glad I could help. I agree it isn't intuitive - but most bugs aren't.  ;)

Basecamp/Mapsource rely on the Windows registry to recognize maps that are created in this format. I don't recall the details, but the 64 bit version of Windows 7 uses some different registry keys for certain functions. This is unique to Win 7/64 while Vista/64 works fine as does Win 7/32.

Most of the authors here used a standard installer script created by Oz (the administrator of this site), and an older version of that script was in conflict with these changes to Win 7/64. This has long since been addressed, but some older maps still suffer from the glitch which prevents Basecamp from recognizing them. The solution is to simply install a map created with the new installer script, and MyTrails is one of these. If you have one map created with the new installer, then the old ones will also work. I think the issue is that the old installer "assumes" that certain registry keys already exist where the new one explicitly creates all the required keys.

Garmin actually has a new map format now which is file-based and doesn't use the Windows registry at all. I have been encouraging other authors to adopt this format since it avoids any registry related pitfalls. It also has the advantage of working on both Macs and PC's. But that's another story.  :)

Anyway, that's it in a nutshell. Glad you are up and running now.

Clyde

I remain a bit confused by this subject. I have been creating my own transparent maps with variable results on my GPS units. Just when I thought I had worked out my issues so that one map would work well will all my units, I started having touble with BaseCamp.

Units involved: Nuvi 1200 and 1300, Zumo 550 and Honda GoldWing 2010. Zumo and 1300 were stolen from my truck in the driveway and I replaced with Zumo660.

Problem: Created maps using BaseCamp for gpx tracks, then GPSMapEdit then MapSetToolkit using cGPSMapper to compile. Using my own type file created with TypWiz3.

Upon opening Basecamp and selecting my map all I get is a rectangle with nothing in it, it also obscures my other maps. I also cannot load the map to my unit using BaseCamp with MapInstall. I did get the map loaded to the units using SendMap20. Everything appears OK, however on the Nuvi's and now the Zumo 660 when I zoom out beyong my set levels for polylines/tracks to appear the rectangle area of map obscures the units original map.

Since I've got Win7/64 bit I tried loading MyTrails with installer. It's tracks appear but it also obscures my other maps City Navigator NOrth America NT 2013 and Global Map. I just tried installing the mapset using MapSetToolkit and after importing the original mapset recieved the message that the .TDB was not readable.    ??????

Short of rebuilding the map from square one I'm looking for some thoughts on what to look for or if their are other known problems I've yet to discover on this forum.

I've included a screen shot of BaseCamp with MyTrails displayed. My maps appear the same except no content.

Many Thanks

Clyde

I just discovered an Older version of my map. It has no issues with BaseCamp. Nor does it have an issue on my Zumo 660. Another isue I was having was the colored typ files for my polylines were black during the day display on the Zumo 660. This has also been corrected. I'm suspecting problems with my files and leaning towards the typ file. Sorry for making you read all this info unnessasarily.