GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin eTrex 20?

Started by phatnomad, November 11, 2012, 01:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phatnomad

I am considering getting an etrex 20.  How is it for turn by turn directions?  I will use it for hunting, fishing, geocacheing and turn by turn directions on motorcycle road trips.  I have tried automotive units on my motorcycle and you can't see the screen in the sunlight.  Is the screen on the etrex 20 visible in sunlight?  Thanks for the help.
Gary

Boyd

Have you seen an eTrex 20 in person? It's really tiny. Small, low resolution screen and pushbutton interface will be awkward for road use if you want to enter addresses, etc. Also no spoken directions, no lane guidance, no speed limit display.

I think the Montana 600 would be the best choice, unless you find it too large or too expensive.

Seldom

To echo Boyd.  An Etrex is great for hiking, but I wouldn't use it for turn by turn except on foot (it chirps and shows an arrow) or in a car when your copilot is translating for it.  On a motorcycle I doubt you'd be able to hear the chirps, and if you have to keep your eye on it you'll drive off the trail.

phatnomad

Good advice.  Thanks for the help.  I think I will continue to use my old magellan meridian for hunting for now and upgrade later.

Boyd

Cool - that's oldie but goodie. A Meridian Gold was my first handheld GPS, got it 10 years ago.  8)

phatnomad

I have had this one forever.  It has been a good one.  Many geocaches and hunting trips and even used it for my speeodometer on an old honda with a broken speedo cable.  I got it out about a month ago for the first time in a while and it wouldn't lock onto sattelites.  I googled that problem yesterday and found that if it hasn't been used in a while to turn it on and set it in the open and don't move it for 30 minutes.  I did that and it aquired sattelites.  I turned it on and off several times and it aquired them quickly like it used to.  So I have my hunting gps back and that is what I needed right now anyway.  Thanks for the help.