GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

My Trails and BaseMap 24K

Started by MikeB, October 24, 2012, 02:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeB

I am confused. I followed instructions...I think. I downloaded the MyTrails and opened it in the Garmin Base Camp 24K topo. However all I can see is My Trails as an additional Map. I can not get it to overlay onto the 24K topo....what am I doing wrong?

maps4gps

Nothing.
Garmin only allows BaseCamp and MapSource to display one vector mapset at a time.

MikeB

Still confused. When I look on this website I see the trails overlaid on a topo. So... Will this overlay on my GPS unit? I was surprised to see this as a map set in the first place. Would they not be trail files that you can select and show on a map set?

MikeB

Tried to load map of My Trails onto the GPS Garmin 60csx. It deleted the 24K mapset. Then I loaded a {ennsylvania topo from this site. It deleted the 24 K.???? Seems like I can not get anything that looks like the screen shots of the My Trails which I see on this site.
This is a great idea but has no value if I cant see the trails on a topo.

Seldom

Quote from: MikeB on October 24, 2012, 04:33:13 PM
Still confused. When I look on this website I see the trails overlaid on a topo. So... Will this overlay on my GPS unit? I was surprised to see this as a map set in the first place. Would they not be trail files that you can select and show on a map set?

Yes, both trails and topos will show simultaneously on your GPSr.  Lots of reasons not to put them on the same map.  Main one probably that My Trails has trails for the whole US, and most people only download topos for their areas of interest.  Also My Trails is made by one map author.  Topos are made by many.

Seldom

Quote from: MikeB on October 24, 2012, 07:47:08 PM
Tried to load map of My Trails onto the GPS Garmin 60csx. It deleted the 24K mapset. Then I loaded a {ennsylvania topo from this site. It deleted the 24 K.???? Seems like I can not get anything that looks like the screen shots of the My Trails which I see on this site.
This is a great idea but has no value if I cant see the trails on a topo.

A 60CSX can only have a single file named gmapsupp.img.  You need to use BaseCamp to add all the maps you want to see on your 60CSX to that file.
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

MikeB

Got it now...thanks. The little trick I was missing was to jump from map to map to make multiple selections. Its not intuitive but makes sense after you figure it out.
BTW....can you view this overlaid mapset in basecamp software? If so How?

Seldom

Quote from: MikeB on October 25, 2012, 10:12:10 AM
BTW....can you view this overlaid mapset in basecamp software? If so How?
Not yet, maybe in a future release, but I doubt it.

MikeB

Oh Well....thanks Seldom. I have struggled with this concept for a very long time......Hey....since you seem so knowledgable let me ask one other thing.
I had topo2008 mapsource software. It was loaded on my work and home computer. No Problem. BUt then work computer lease ran out and they would not transfer my personal programs....OK...My problem...I lost the CD to reload topo2008. I thought it would be simple to load the one from my home computer to a thumb drive and put it on my work PC again. Well I can get mapsource but the maps do not show up?????? Do you or anyone on this site know how to get these maps to show up. In the meantime I bought the 24K basecamp product but am very unhappy because these maps do NOT show power lines and gass wells liek the 2008 did. I dont know what Garmin was thinking? Hunters use power lines as benchmark locations all the time.

Boyd

You can't just copy the files because older Garmin products like this depend on the Windows registry to access the maps. I don't understand from your post.... is there a computer somewhere that still has a working copy of US topo on it? If so, then it is very easy to move it to another computer using the "backup" option in this utility program: http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html

If you don't have the DVD and don't have a computer with a working copy, then that is going to be more difficult. But if you have a backup of all the files, you can probably install but it would involve messing with the Windows registry. Be very careful unless you know what you're doing, you could mess things up on your computer by tinkering with the registry.  ;) See this thread: http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php?topic=669.0