GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Draw order in maps and types on a gps

Started by gbbickerton, October 23, 2012, 06:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbbickerton

Does anyone know how the draw order of polygons in a typ file interact with the draw order set for maps when more than one map is enabled on a gps.
Also when a map is set as transparent is it just the background that is transparent as I have polygons drawn on top of roads at the moment. I am trying to have forest tracks and forest areas overlaid over an OSM map and still have the roads show through.

Boyd

.typ definitions are specific to the mapset of which they are a part. Polygons are always solid and do not have a border. Of course you can make a polygon transparent but then it will be invisible.  ;) So polygons in a mapset with a transparent background will always hide features of any maps that have a lower draw priority.

You could use a dither pattern to fill the polygons and that will allow things to show through up to a point, but that can also look ugly.

maps4gps

'Transparent' is an unfortunate translation of the what occurs by the Polish creator of cgpsmapper.  The term 'overlay' better describes what is taking place. 
As normally used, a polygon will cover anything displayed before it; which is usually everthing in a non-overlay mapset(s).

gbbickerton

That is very helpful I think I will try a dithered polygon as it should be possible to define a forest area without total coverage of the background which looks ok.

Seldom

Quote from: gbbickerton on October 24, 2012, 01:08:49 AM
That is very helpful I think I will try a dithered polygon as it should be possible to define a forest area without total coverage of the background which looks ok.

My Desert Southwest map uses dithered polygons for wooded areas.  These generally render well on handhelds, but badly on my Nuvi.

yogazoo

It is possible to "pry" into a mapset to get polygons to wedge themselves between the vector line data and the background. See my black background for the Oregon with City Nav. Since Garmin didn't want to give Oregon 4xx and 5xx users a night mode I created a black background and slipped it into the City Nav map under the road data. It's all a matter of map draw orders and coinciding levels. I explain a little bit on the download page here:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/440/

I've also pried polygons into Garmin's topo 24K maps to provide detailed land ownership underneath the topo, road, and stream info.