GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Problems downloading MapSetToolKit.

Started by Brad, October 07, 2012, 12:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad

I am following this tutorial (•How To Load .img Files Into MapSource or BaseCamp With MapSetToolkit) and get routed to a different link (box.com & says incorrect password or file not found) & will not let me load mapsettoolkit.
Is it a problem with the link or maybe its an isue with my computer(windows 7) ?
     I have an Oregon 450 w/16gb class 10 microsd that I just purchased this week. I have city nav north america & I have already loaded mntopo11. ndtopo11, minnesota & north dakota snowmobile trails & of course the My Trails install to get the topo maps to load.
      I am trying to get Minnesota Lake Depths & CityNav-Night Mode for Oregon/Colorado/Dakota also load on my gps but according to the tutatorial I need that & one other program to load these to my gps. I have basecamp & mapsource loade on my pc.
       Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. :D

Seldom

I just clicked that link, and it took me to https://sites.google.com/site/cypherman1/

Sounds like malware to me. It would help to know what browser you are using.

But you shouldn't need MSTK for most maps you download from GPSFileDepot.  It's primarily a tool for map authors.

Brad

Yes that is where it leads you to but then you need to click on Mapsettoolkit v1.77.zip (Link 1 or 2)
I understand that I shouldn't have to but there is no installer linked with the downloads I was trying which are img files  after they are unzipped.
Thank you for your response & input.

Boyd

Minnesota Lake Depths is hosted off-site - http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/444/

I didn't download, but I suppose it's possible that you would need MapsetToolkit.  Both this map and CityNav night mode do NOT indicate "EZ install", which normally means that you need to jump through some extra hoops.

When I go to cypherman's site (https://sites.google.com/site/cypherman1/) there are two links to download MapsetToolkit. Link one redirects to box.net and gives me a password error. Link 2 works fine for me though. It should take you to the file on cyphermans' site: https://sites.google.com/site/cypherman1/MapSetToolKit_v1.77.zip?attredirects=0

Seldom

Link 2 also worked for me, but I got Box.com for Link 1.  I emailed cypherman.

Brad

Thank you Seldom & Boyd for your input it was greatly appreciated. If it comes right down to it I guess I can live without the city nav night mode but I really would like to get the minnesota lake depths for use in the up coming ice fishing season.  ;D If nothing else I suppose I can just buy the upper midwest fishing guide (dvd) from garmin.
Thanks to seldom for sending out that email.
Is there a way for me to contact either of the maps creators?

Brad

when i click on link 2 I do get the pop up on bottom of screen for the program but the only options are SAVE & CANCEL (no RUN option) When I click on save nothing happens.
I realize this maybe just quite possibly above my skill set at this time. I'm just trying not to come off as too much of an idiot when I explaining what is going on.
     Once again, thanks for the info.

-Oz-

It is a zip file so you should save it.  Then EXTRACT the .exe file from the zip file.  Then you can run it and file the tutorial.

If you still can't get it to download I will host it on gpsfiledepot (I'm going to make the offer to cypherman as well).
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Brad

Oz , when I click on save nothing happens, It is like it wont even download it.
So it doesn't even get to that point so I can do the next step.
    Let me know what you find out & what my next option is, thank you.
*unless there is another way for me to load these maps (Minnesota Lake Depths & CityNav-Night Mode for Oregon/Colorado/Dakota) onto mapsource or basecamp without mapsettoolkit.

Boyd

Are you sure it didn't actually download? Are you looking in the right place for the downloaded file? It is a very small file (44k) and only takes a second (or less) to download, so you may not realize it was successful. You must also download and install cgpsmapper and gmaptool in order to use mapsettoolkit.

jtkt1981

Unless these have changed, I believe both of these maps are .img files that you simply load directly onto your garmin.  They are transparent maps that are meant to be used with other maps.  The instructions for the CityNav-Night Mode for Oregon/Colorado/Dakota say; "Instructions: Unzip the folder and place the contents into the Garmin folder on your GPS or SD card. Enable the map along with City Navigator."
You may be able to use MapSetToolKit to install the lake depth map into Mapsource or Baecamp.....but you will NOT be able to view it on the PC overlaid on other maps.  All you would see are the lake depth contours.  It seems pointless to install the CityNav-Night Mode map on the PC for the same reason....except all you would see is the black background.  I do use the CityNav-Night Mode map on my Oregon handheld and it works very well.

Seldom

I tried downloading Minnesota Lake Depths from the link on GPSfileDepot.  I saw a RAR file of 5+ MB.  Of that only 2MB downloaded, then it stopped.  I cancelled after a minute.  Nothing was on my Desktop.

Brad

Yes boyd i looked in the right file & for some reason it wasn't there also did a file search.
    Jtkt1981 i will give that a try when i get home tonight. I dont need the night mode on mapsource or basecamp but it would be nice to have the lakes on there to help plan the next trip once i have a few waypoints of hotspots. But i would be happy with it just loaded on my handheld.
   Seldom- I do have both of the maps loaded on my pc, so there was no problem loading those.
Thanks again to all for the info.

Brad

Seldom- that is no problem loading them to my pc.

Brad

Jtkt1981 I got the city nav night mode to load, show up on map info on the gps & it operates correctly, by using the method you described witch happened to be in the directions. Apparently I should of took a little more time to read that... :) Thank you.
    As far as the Minnesota Lake Depths map I installed it on the gps, it showed up on the gps map info but didn't work the way I expected. Tryed a few lakes closer to me & nothing showed up on the lake that I didn't already have. I even tryed disabling a few other maps, even every one but the basemap & still nothing. So I guess I will just go ahead & get the upper midwest fishing guide dvd from garmin.
  I believe I have probably wasted enough of everybody elses time, including my own, trying to figure it out.
   Thanks once again for everyones help in this matter.