GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Adding information for a POI in a Custom Vector Map?

Started by eaparks, October 01, 2012, 11:45:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eaparks

I've done some seaching and am not finding what I'm looking for.  Using the free versions of GPSMapEdit, cgpsmapper, and MapsetToolkit, with Oregon 450. 

I'm wanting to add additional information for some points (POIs) on some custom vector maps that will appear when you put your GPS pointer on the POI and open the POI button. Can this be done, for instance, like when you highlight a POI on your GPS in City Navigator and open the poi button and you get additional information about that poi?

Right now I only get the generic info.: Elevation, Distance, and Location information when I highlight the poi and open the poi button.  I'm wanting to add things such as phone number, hours of operation, address, etc. and have them appear on the GPS when the button for that POI is opened.

Thanks

BobT

Ed, I have tried to do the same thing and have not figured it out either.  Hopefully someone will have an answer.

eaparks

I felt like it was probably fairly simple and I'm just missing something in GPSMapEdit but also question if the free version will even allow you to do it.

Seldom

This may not help, but the pay version of GPSmapedit only permits a single label for POI.  It permits 3 labels for roads only.  You can add attributes to POI in the Extras tab of the properties box, but I don't know if they'll show on screen.  The propertied menu also has a slot for an address and phone.  You might be able to use them.

eaparks

Thanks Seldom for the info. on the pay version.  I had already opened the "Object Properties" for a poi in GPMapEdit, free version, and in the "Properties" the comment is only saved in MP file only, per the Note; under the "Address" tab all is grayed out and I'm unable to add info.; and under the "Extras" tab all is grayed out except for "Edit as Text..." and this appears to be adding a Key and Value for modifying the attributes of Polish Format.  So, I have run out of ideas for now.

SmugWimp

Would creating custom POIs as a GPI file be any use? That's how Garmin does enhanced Points of interest...

Also, if you add a phone (using GPSMapEdit) it will show up in your code, but not on the map.  The Address will, but not the phone.  If you want a Phone Number, you'll need to use a GPI file, separate from the map.

Cheers!

-- Smug
In a nutshell, I get claustrophobic.

popej

Presentation of phone number depends on device. I can see it on nuvi 34xx, 23xx, Dakota. My nuvi 1440 doesn't show phone, but maybe 1490 does?

SmugWimp

Phone numbers don't show on my 1390, 1450, and 1490s  Unless it's in a gpx file. I (erroneously, as usual) thought it was the same on all units. My bad.

-- Smug
In a nutshell, I get claustrophobic.