GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Lightweight Newbie eTrex10 NJ Map Storage Help?

Started by UnderRanger, September 28, 2012, 09:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UnderRanger

I got an eTrex 10 as a gift and I like it a lot. I am trying to figure out how to get simple "low end" maps/trails/roads/topography of southern NJ onto the unit. It has about 2mb of storage, which I would think would be fine to map some geocache points with just lightweight data, but I cannot seem to find any file with just he basics. Can anyone point me int he right direction?

Thanks.

Indrid Cold

The eTrex 10 doesn't accept additional maps. The 2MB is for waypoints, Geocache data, etc...

UnderRanger

I made a little .loc file from some stuff on geocaching.com and copied that over. There is no way to get any additional data into the unit so I can "see" where the location points actually are?

Thanks.

Boyd

I have two maps that show Southern New Jersey in extreme detail:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/294/
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/276/

Unfortunately, Indrid is correct however. The eTrex 10 is not a mapping GPS. So it isn't an issue of how "simple" the map is. It's an all or nothing proposition, either the unit accepts maps or it doesn't. I realize this could be awkward since the device was a gift, but perhaps you could ask the giver for a receipt so that you could exchange the eTrex 10 for an eTrex 20? That would give you full compatibility with any Garmin format maps.

If this isn't possible, then perhaps you will find the maps above helpful on your computer using Basecamp or Mapsource? You could display your waypoints and tracks  on the map and print it out if needed.

UnderRanger

Thanks for the information.

Hmm.... So what *can* I load into this aside from the .loc files.... Time to investigate. All furhter clues/tips are appreciated. :)

Thanks again. Time to re-read the manual...

Indrid Cold

Well, you can load .gpx files that contain Waypoints, tracks or routes. .gpx or .loc files for Geocaching. BaseCamp will work for transferring this data with either Macintosh or Windows. I'm not sure it it has a photo viewer (I think not), but it it has you should be able to navigate to geotagged photos.