GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

micro sd card vs disc vs download

Started by masterofnone, September 25, 2012, 06:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

masterofnone

I want to get garmin's city navigator, what are the pros and cons of downloading from garmin's site, vs a disc, vs a data card. And if I chose a card, what would the risks be of getting a "like new" card from a reputable seller?

Boyd

If you buy a *real* Garmin card, it can be used in any GPS however it cannot be copied to another card. It is not possible to purchase updates for these, you must buy a new card if you want a new map. Therefore a "reputable" person could sell their old card if they replaced it with a new one.

When you purchase the download version you must connect your GPS to the computer first, and Garmin creates a lock code that marries the map to your device. It cannot be used in a different GPS, but you can copy it do a different card or install it in internal memory on the GPS. You cannot update this kind of map either, you must purchase a new download to get a new map.

The disk version will also be locked to the original GPS on which it is installed, and it can also be installed on multiple cards or internal memory. You can purchase updates for the disk version, although that is a separate purchase. The disk version is also eligible for the "nuMaps Guarantee", so if an updated map is released within 3 months of installing the map then it's a free download.

All the files from the disk version are installed on your computer and can be used in both Mapsource and Basecamp for planning on your computer. The card and download version cannot be used in Mapsource, however they can be used in Basecamp when you connect your GPS to the computer. Alternately you can copy the card or download to a USB stick and Basecamp can access the map from that (copies of the map will work on the computer but not on the GPS).

The download version is only available from Garmin, but you can shop around at other vendors for the card or disk to find the best price. If you have any Garmin devices that you have not registered, be sure to do so. Garmin will send you a 10% discount code you can use for the map purchase. I found that this even worked with a GPS that was 5 years old.

maps4gps

Many have said that it is inadvisable to add any vector map data to a prerecorded Garmin memory card.  I do not recall anyone posting about a problem doing so; however, Garmin  usually considers 3rd party mapsets void their warranty.

The disk version is usually considered the most flexible all-around.
Consider the prerecorded disk if you want to use CN on more than one GPSr (one at a time), and/or will be buying another GPSr soon.  Also how much, if any, internal memory the GPSr has for other vector (overlay/transparent or 'base') mapsets.
Download version - many have posted that after buying one they wished they had not.

You need to have the 'reputable seller' define what they mean by 'like new'.  Likely it will not be the current version of CN.  If you can, test the card in your GPSr before you purchase it.

Garmin has been updating CN 4 times a year.  Balance the price of the 'like new' card with its age and if you need the latest version and its cost.

Boyd

I bought the download version of City Navigator Lower 49 for my Montana and have been completely happy. It is the cheapest version of City Navigator at $60 (I don't need Canada or Alaska). Can be used on either a card or internal memory.

I can use the map in Basecamp when the GPS is connected. Garmin gives you 12 months to download the same map again in case your version becomes corrupt. I only paid $54 using the 10% discount code I got when registering the GPS. This version is only available as a download. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=253&pID=28765

With the pre-loaded cards, since they work on any device, you could sell an old one if you purchase a new map or if you only bought it for a vacation in a foreign country. A person doing this would be what I'd consider a "reputable seller", but the problem is, how do you verify this unless you actually know the seller? There are a large number of scams and illegal map copies out there. Caveat emptor.

masterofnone