GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

New etrex 20

Started by Chef Fred, September 23, 2012, 12:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chef Fred

Hello everyone.  I just bought my etrax 20. THis is my first hand held gps.  I use it for hiking, hunting, ect.  Could someone help steer me in the right direction to get maps loaded?  I can't even open the file after they are downloaded to the computer.

Thank you.

Chef Fred

I can see the map now.  Will try to download it to the gps tomorrow.  Thank you. 

fcoulter

I'm another Fred, who also got the eTrex 20 recently.  (I got mine on Friday.)  It wasn't my first GPS; I alreay owned the yellow eTrex.  (I'm probably going to donate the old one to a local university's outdoor student club; no one in my family wants it.)

Friday night I downloaded and installed the Florida Topo map and the My Trails map into BaseCamp.  I found a trail I didn't even know about five miles from my house.

Saturday I hiked the trail and created a Garmin Adventure.  Check it out at adventures dot garmin dot com slash en-US slash by slash fredrik-coulter slash clark-bay-conservation-area-trail.

Today I sent jbensman a gpx file with updated information about the trail.  (Just a couple of minor changes to the trail on his map.  The actual trail doesn't exactly match the information from the Saint Johns River Water Management District.)

The moral of the story is that the etrex is fun and works well for me.