News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

River Navigation Charts

Started by jbensman, April 10, 2009, 09:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbensman

http://www.tec.army.mil/echarts/

Anyone look at this site?  In the last couple of months they have posted shapefiles for navigation charts for several rivers like the Mississippi, Illnois, Ohio, etc.  They have PDFs of the charts and all the parts of the charts in shapefiles.  I cannot figure out what most of the stuff is, but there is some interesting data in there that I am starting to add to my trail maps.

If someone understands navigation charts, it would probably be pretty easy to make a Garmin map of the navigation charts.  I do not know anything about river navigation (other than canoing) so I do not understand what all the stuff is.  I started out trying to convert them to a map but gave up.  Maybe someone else might be interested.

-Oz-

Wow, I'm sure there would be a lot of people who want this.  I added canoe trails in Florida to my map.  I didn't need them but figured someone would want them.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

jbensman

Today the ACOE sent me metadata files that describe what everything is.  If anyone is interested in making maps from this data, let me know and I can share the metadata.

I might try messing with it again.

jbensman

I tried making a map with the files.  It did not work well.  But there is lots of neat stuff in there to add to other maps.  The metadata was a big help in figuring out what the stuff is.   It might be possible to make a map with some custom type files, but the better option appears to be to just add the data to other maps.  Some of the stuff in the files is the navigation line, markers, poligons for all the dams, marinas, docks, etc.