GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Loading maps onto Delorme PN30?

Started by RubRsidedown, September 12, 2012, 05:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubRsidedown

I have a friend with a Delorme PN 30 and he would like to load some different maps (Topo and marine/Bluecharts) onto it.  Are they difficult to work with and what would he need to makethis happen?
Is there a website or a program similar to Basecamp he would need to use to do this?

Thanks in advance

Jeff B  In Maine
Jeff B  In Maine

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."

Boyd

All the maps on this site are in Garmin format and would not be compatible with a DeLorme device. I have not used DeLorme myself, but I think you can find help here: http://forum.delorme.com/

RubRsidedown

OK I didn' tknow that.

Thanks for the heads up.
  ;)
Jeff B  In Maine

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing."

maps4gps

DeLorme and Garmin each have their own incompatable formats.

Garmin and 3rd party (sold or available for free) data are copyrighted and for most the use
license only grants permission to use the data as is, in the mapset as made available.  Even where the source data is made available to the public at no charge, a user would legally have to obtain a copy of the data from the source (versus a Garmin or 3rd party product) to use the data in their own creation.

DeLorme has/had a mapping program available which will convert user data in various 'open-source' formats to the DeLorme format used on their GPSr devices.  See websites specific to DeLorme; this website was created for mapauthors using Garmin's format.

Boyd

Also, FWIW, BlueChart® is actually a registered Garmin trademark.  :)