GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Can't See Topo Map on Nuvi 3790

Started by coolio, September 10, 2012, 01:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coolio

Hi, I just downloaded the Utah Topo maps "uttopo2011" and loaded it onto my Sandisk 16gb micro sdcard with MapInstall.  I'm on a Mac, and I can see the file in Finder on the card, but when I look for it on my Nuvi 3790, it's not there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mark

Boyd

Topo maps should work on the 3790, I have one myself. For starters, check the memory card in the Finder by selecting it and File > Get Info. It should be formatted as MS-DOS Fat32 (for some reason the Mac will report this as FAT16 however, which is OK). If not, then use Disk Utility to erase and choose MS-DOS from the dropdown menu.

There was a bug in an older version of Mapinstall such that the maps went to the wrong folder. What folder is the map in? It should be in a folder named Map. If the map file is in a folder named Garmin, then that is the Mapinstall bug and it won't work.

Create a new folder named Map at the root of the card, then drag the .img file to the Map folder. If this isn't the problem, then you could create a folder named Map on the 3790 internal memory and put the file there to see if it works.

coolio

Thanks for the quick reply! 

I got the topo map to load onto the Garmin hard drive, and they work.  I'm using the latest version of MapInstall, but for some reason I still can't see the topo map on the GPS from the SD Card .  In Finder it shows the folder "Map" with the "uttopo11" file in it.  Do know the difference in performance with the topo file on the Garmin hard drive vs. the sd card?

Thanks!

Boyd

Performance will be better with internal memory, but with most maps the difference will not be noticeable. I make maps that have an extreme level of detail, and usually they don't work very well on the Nuvi when stored on a card. Very few others make this kind of map though, so I wouldn't worry about it. The 3790 has 8GB of internal memory, so you should have plenty of room for a few topo maps.

Did you confirm that the card is formatted as described above? MapInstall won't care about that, but it won't work on the the GPS.

Seldom

Quote from: coolio on September 10, 2012, 06:40:29 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! 

I got the topo map to load onto the Garmin hard drive, and they work.  I'm using the latest version of MapInstall, but for some reason I still can't see the topo map on the GPS from the SD Card .  In Finder it shows the folder "Map" with the "uttopo11" file in it.  Do know the difference in performance with the topo file on the Garmin hard drive vs. the sd card?

Thanks!

What do you mean "can't see the topo"?  Is the map listed and you can enable it or disable it, or doesn't it show up on the map list?  If enabled, does it look like the top image described in this thread?
http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,2856.msg17133.html#msg17133  The screenshot there is from my 1490.