News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin Oregon 450 Trails

Started by jbross, September 07, 2012, 04:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbross

Dear Forum Members:

I read reviews and spoke to several people and they recommended the above handheld GPS unit which I purchased. I subsequently purchased more memory and uploaded the maps for the Southwest (AZ UT, etc).

My questions are...

If I am sitting in one state, but want to locate a hiking trail in another state, can this be done on my GPS unit and/or Garmin Basecamp? If so, how do I query the device or Basecamp to show the trail. All I see are "other" points of interest.

Once I am at the area where I want to access named hiking trail, how do I query my unit to find it.

If you can point me to resources to answer the above questions, I would be most appreciative. Thank you - [ J. Ross ]

Seldom

Your physical location won't matter if you are using BaseCamp, but you will need to have the state you are searching in activated, since BaseCamp only will show one map product at a time.  Most maps here are not routable, so I'm pretty sure your search capabilities will be limited.

SmugWimp

BaseCamp (and Mapsource, the older app) allow you to view and load maps, add routes and waypoints onto your Garmin device.

Like Seldom said, if they are 'topographical' there might not be much to search. What you may want to do, while you have the map open in BaseCamp, is add a 'waypoint' marking the beginning (and end?) of each desired trail, so that you can find it once you're out 'in the wild'.

I don't use a Oregon, but on my 'Nuvi' Waypoints are held in 'favorites' if created singly (either in BaseCamp or on the device), and in 'Extras' if created by gpi (another method for another discussion).  So if you create a waypoint, and load it on your device but can't find it, remember to look in other areas.

Hope this helps!

-- Smug
In a nutshell, I get claustrophobic.