News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Another newbie, "maps don't fit" message

Started by dlgascho, August 31, 2012, 06:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlgascho

I have a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx and am trying to download mitopo11.  I have not
previously downloaded any other maps to the unit, so it only has the Marine Base map
installed.  Even if I only select one area to download to the unit I get the message
"Maps will not fit".   How do I find out how much space I have for downloading and
what is taking up the space?   The unit has a 64 MB data card, but I have never used it.

Boyd

On the 60csx, the basemap is part of the device firmware, it is not stored on the memory card and doesn't figure into any storage space issues. Is your card firmly seated in the 60csx? Has it been formatted as FAT32?

On the 60csx, use the Interface Setup screen to enable Mass Storage mode. Is the memory card recognized by your computer as a USB disk? If so, then that would verify that the 60csx can "see" the card.

Seldom

That said, 64MB is a TINY data card.  I just looked at maps4gps' Michigan Topo and it's 89MB, to download, so it's probably 20% larger than that, and definitely wouldn't fit on a 64 MB card.  Your 60CSX should handle a 4 GB card, and that should cost you around $5.

Boyd

Ha - good point, I didn't even notice that!  :)

dlgascho

Thank you Boyd & Seldom!   

The card not being seated properly was the problem  ---  took me
a little bit to figure out how to "seat" it.

I know it is 64 mb is not much and at the time I posted I was waiting for a 4 GB card to arrive.    Today it arrived but I can't understand how it will fit in the the "little" compartment.   I ordered a 4 GB with SD adaptor.  Is it the
adaptor that is making it too large to fit?   On the Garmin website it shows a 4 GB card with adaptor as being compatible with this unit.

Thank you again for your input.

Seldom

If you ordered a microSD with an SD adapter look hard at it under bright light.  There's a little tab on the bottom that you can hook with your thumbnail and pull the card from the adapter.  Keep the adapter.  You'll probably want to send maps to the card through a card reader rather than directly to the 60CSX, because the 60CSX USB connection is pretty slow.  A map send that takes 2 hours when sent to the 60CSX will take half an hour to a USB 2.0 adapter.  I'd expect that USB 3 would be even faster, but don't own any of those.

dlgascho

Thank you again Seldom!!!!!

Was really feeling a little frustrated that I must have ordered the wrong item.

I don't suppose you would have any input on the "on/off switch"  working
intermittently  .....  seems to just not be connecting sometimes and either won't
turn on and sometimes won't turn off.  I suppose that's probably a "send in for
repair category"?

Seldom

I've seen that intermittent on/off switch reported several times.  A few guys have opened up the unit and modified the inside of the button, but I wouldn't try that unless you were willing to sacrifice the unit.  Then again, after you find out the cost of the repair/refurb, you may figure it's worth a try.