GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Oregon 200

Started by Bud1948, August 12, 2012, 01:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud1948

Oregon 200. When I mark a way point in the woods where i find mushrooms and want to come back to this same  spot, I am haveing a problem with using the compass. I arrive to the general location where I am to find the mushroom spot again. Find the mushroom spot in my watpoint manager and hit GO. Then when I go to my compass, my compass wants to take me to my nearest geocaching site thats maybe a 100 miles away. Can I not use the compass to get to a waypoint? Only good for geocaches?? Thanks Bud

Boyd

Hmm, it's been awhile since I gave my Oregon 400 to a friend. Not sure what is happening, but you should be aware that your Oregon 200 actually doesn't have a compass! See the specs here: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=167&pID=14902

QuoteFeatures & Benefits:

Electronic compass:    no
Touchscreen:    yes
Barometric altimeter:    no

So I'm not sure what you're looking at. On units without an electronic compass, it determines what direction you're heading based on the GPS position change, and that can be erratic. It won't work at all if you're standing still.

Bud1948

yea it has a compass. use it all the time to find geocaches

babj615

Bud, what compasss are you referring to? The oregon 200 does not have any form of electronic compass. The ONLY way it knows which direction you are travelling is by comparing present location with past location, and that ONLY works if you are moving.
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Bud1948

You are correct babj and Boyd. You have to be moving for it to work. But when I hunt Geocaches, I select the cacch i want to find the go back to my compass, start walking and follow the compass needle. It also tells me how many feet I am from the catch and just keep following the compass needle as the distance closes in until I am right on top of the cacth.  But when I select a way point, then go to compass it trys to direct me to the nearest geocatch instead of the waypoint. I have to stay on the waypoint page and start walking and it show where the waypoint is, so you need to keep watching to make sure you are still getting closer. Just much easier to be able to use the compass point like I use to find the caches.