News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

no contour lines for Sierra Topo in Basecamp

Started by [email protected], August 04, 2012, 10:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

[email protected]

Hello,

I've tried downloading and installing Sierra Topo twice, but both times I get no map data in Basecamp, and when I try to show Sierra Topo, the hard drive goes non-stop and everything slows down.  I've successfully installed CA Topo, and it works fine - I see all the contour lines and points of interest.  But with Sierra Topo, all I see are my tracks.

Any ideas?

Thanks much,
Brad

Boyd

That is an unusual map, created from a scanned paper map with a program called MOAGU which is sort of a "hack" to make the GPS do something it wasn't designed for. Did you notice what the author said? Have you set detail to max and zoomed way in to, for example, .2 miles?

QuoteThis map will take time to load both in MapSource and your Garmin GPS units.  The map is slower than normal vector maps and only visible when zoomed in to 0.5mi + on highest detail.

There might be some issues with this map using newer software, not sure, have never tried it. Personally I don't think this kind of map works very well due to the very high density of data and poor performance on the GPS.

What kind of GPS do you have? If it's a newer model like an Oregon, etc. there are better methods to get scanned paper maps into the device. Garmin "custom maps" allow you to create your own maps from download/scanned USGS maps. And Garmin Birdseye Topo (for $30) gives you unlimited downloads of scanned USGS 24k topo maps.

leszekp

"Classic" Moagu maps don't work with the newer Garmin models; they take advantage of some hardware quirks in the older models like the 60/76CSx models, that the newer models no longer have. Maps created using Moagu's GUI for Bmap2mp will work on newer models, but Boyd is right - unless there's a really good reason, you'd be better off with those models using either Custom Maps or Birdseye imagery. Moagu is a hack intended for those who absolutely need raster imagery on their older Garmins.

[email protected]

Hey,  Thanks for the input!  I haven't even gotten to the point of putting it on my Garmin Etrex Legend Hcx, because I havent' been able to see it on Base Camp.  I just tried zooming in to 300 feet, and that worked, but was so close as to be unclear/unreadable.  500ft didn't work.  But since it seems to be a troublesome map, made for older units, I think I'll just drop it before I waste any more time on it.  I've already put in many hours.

What I want is better quality topo lines than what I get with CA topo.  I use my gps for hiking, so accuracy is important, but I can't spend too much money.  Would you suggest Bird's Eye Topo for that kind of detail and accuracy?

Boyd

Quote from: [email protected] on August 05, 2012, 04:29:13 PMBut since it seems to be a troublesome map, made for older units

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your eTrex Legend Hcx is an older unit.  ;) Unfortunately it is not compatible with Birdseye. If you can't find a topo map you like on this site, you might have to get Garmin's 24k topo: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=255&pID=35407

There might also be some other third party maps for CA, I don't know. But you can look at the Garmin topo on their site here:

http://www8.garmin.com/cgi-bin/mapgen/webmap.cgi?p=21626881&u=1&v=0&cp=4B21D85AFEFD585A&z=2&w=600&h=450&d=2&rz=0&k=1&sc=1

leszekp

Well, the good(?) news is that the maps should work on your unit - not sure why they don't. The bad news is that they will be slooooooooow, much slower than the 60/76Cx models (and they're not exactly speedy on those). Go for the vector maps.

[email protected]

Ok, I'll look for a better vector map, and maybe just bite the bullet and pay cash for the real thing.

Thanks for all your help folks,
Brad