News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Downloading maps and installing on Basecamp

Started by shirl, August 10, 2012, 03:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shirl

Hi,
I'm brand new to GPS's and downloading maps, have searched the forums but can't come up with an answer (I'm sure one of you can point me to it somewhere)
I have a newly purchased Oregon 550 and Basecamp installed on a computer with Windows 7 Home Premium. It is a 64 bit computer (if this is relevant).
I have downloaded World Relief Shaded KMZ and Basecamp can't see it. I also downloaded World Topo Eastern and it turns up on the computer in a folder with a whole lot of DVD files on it and Basecamp can't see any of them. I think I am missing something really basic here.
Thanks in advance for humoring a GPS dummy and congratulations on this forum.
Regards

maps4gps

Garmin's newer software can not open a mapset that goes from -180 to +180. 
Garmin will have to correct this flaw in their software.

Run the .exe file you downloaded World Topo Eastern with BaseCamp not running.
BC and MapSource only look for files when they are started.

shirl

Thanks for that. I didn't have Basecamp running when downloaded the saved exe file.
I'm not sure why I'm getting the files on my computer as DVD icons? No one else on the forums seems to mention this as an issue.
Would I be better off trying to put Mapsource as well as Basecamp on the computer - will Mapsource talk to the new Oregon?
Thanks again

Boyd

Is it the .img files that look like disk icons? These are Garmin's map files, but the .img extension is not unique. It is also used to represent a disk image, so my guess is that your computer is assuming that's what they are and assigning what it thinks is an appropriate icon. It's bogus and you should just ignore the icons.

But you should not even be looking at these files. They are used internally by the Basecamp software. After you run the installer, the map should just appear in basecamp without any need to "open" files. Have you seen this? http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-open-maps-in-garmin-basecamp/

Yes, you can use mapsource if you prefer, but it will only have limited compatibility with your Oregon. It will not receive waypoints from your Oregon. It will not display .kmz custom maps. It won't work with Birdseye. If you are not already familiar with Mapsource, it's probably best to just stick with Basecamp.

Seldom

Quote from: maps4gps on August 10, 2012, 05:34:03 PM
Garmin's newer software can not open a mapset that goes from -180 to +180. 
Garmin will have to correct this flaw in their software.

Actually, the world basemap looks like it does 360 degrees in both BC and MS. Looks like a Mercator projection, but it pans past +-180  in both applications.

Boyd

I assumed he was specifically talking about "custom maps" - .kmz files - since that was the context of the question.  :)

Seldom

AFAIK, none of Garmin's software has opened spherical KMZs, so I assumed maps4gps was making a more general statement.

shirl

Thanks everyone,
Funny how one little thing can trip you up. Bit of a learning curve. I had read the tutorial but basecamp wasn't picking up the maps automatically. Now it is.

Regards