GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Ibycus USA2 vs. Mapsource 6.15.11

Started by DrRon, July 30, 2012, 08:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrRon

I downloaded IbycusUSA2.0 and several TOPO maps to load on my Garmin 60CSx via Mapsource.  All went smoothly and I have them loaded on the unit and a backup of my SD card IMG file on my PC.

Since all the downloaded data files were so big and bloating my C partition size, and since I had the backup of my SD card IMG file, I moved the TOPO and IbycusUSA files off my C partition to My Documents for future use, if required.

Now my Mapsource won't launch.  I get an error with my IbycusU2 installation and it asks me to reinstall it.

I think I understand that IbycusUSA2 is different from the TOPO maps, which are installer EXE files vs. just EXE files.  But since I've already downloaded everything, loaded it all on my GPS unit and backed up my SD card image I really don't want the large installer files on my C partition any more.

How can I get my Mapsource to launch again without reinstalling it and possibly losing my database elements, like tracks and waypoints, etc?

Thanks,
Ron

maps4gps

The situation is that on install there were entries made in the Windows registry which MapSource uses to find the .img files.  On install the default location can be changed; however, if the files are later relocated, the entries in the registry still point to the original locations.  To have MapSource work again, place the image files back where they were first installed or (and you may have to do this anyway) use MapSetToolKit to uninstall the mapsets. 

A curiosity question - why the interest in IbycusUSA?  It is much older than most of the topo
mapsets available here and does not have contour lines, detailed hydro, nor extensive GNIS POIs, etc. 

DrRon

Thanks so much...  will do.

At the time I was pretty green on all this stuff and thought the Ibycus was routable.
Now I'm into hiking and geocaching with a different system for the car, a new Outback with factory Nav.

Thanks again.

DrRon

Toolkit worked.  That was easy.  Thanks again.

By the way, I just want you to know that I have your maps and appreciate all the hard work you do.

I know you run into folks who don't and I'm sorry about that.

popej

You might consider updating to latest Mapsource 6.16.3, I think it simply ignores problems with wrong map installation and runs anyway.

DrRon

Oops...  new question.
MS is now open with just the base map info, trip and waypoint manager, that's all.
As I thought all my routes, waypoints, etc. are gone even though those data files are on my PC.

I tried loading my backup image file for the SD card using Toolkit but it can't see it in the folder for some reason.  It may be a name format problem?  If it could read it would it load it into MS with all the topos and routes?  Do I have to redo the topo installs back onto my C partition?

SmugWimp

I'm not entirely sure I understand your question. But 'I think' you're looking for your old waypoint files and stuff.

If that is the case, and if they were saved, they're usually saved as a "*.gdb" file in your documents folder. You may want to snoop and see if they're still there.

Hope this helps, I'm not sure, lol!

-- Smug
In a nutshell, I get claustrophobic.