GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

One Time Audio File?

Started by SmugWimp, July 09, 2012, 10:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmugWimp

I have a question. It may not be considered 'valid' due to the commercial nature, but still...

I create maps. I include these maps into GPS units that I rent through our Car Rental Agencies.

I sell custom POI's to our local businesses in the form of custom Icons, which makes them prettier on the map.

I have shied away from Audio files (other than on my guided tours) because if it distracts (or annoys) the user, then it becomes a hindrance, which defeats the purpose of having a GPS talk to you.

Since my island is only 30 miles long (and we're the largest in our region), I'm curious (and I haven't tested it) if you can set a large proximity (say 35 miles, much further than anyone can get by car) will the audio play only once when the GPS turns on, and (at least with respect to 'THAT' audio) stays quiet the rest of the time.

If I could be sure the file would play only once, during 'turn on' and not any additional time, then it might be worth trying to market.

Would anyone hazard a guess?  I haven't done too much audio development on this yet...

-- Smug
In a nutshell, I get claustrophobic.

SmugWimp

Just if anyone was curious, I finally got around to testing this.

I created a "TourGuide" file for testing, using the center of the island as the 'point' and a radius of about 20 miles (32km, roughly).

The audio file plays as soon as the Nuvi is finished booting and gets to disclaimer page.  It doesn't play twice, but it will play once each time the GPS is powered on.

However, it shows that 'tourguide' symbol on the page consistantly.  I suspect I'll have better luck with the Garmin Content Toolkit. I'll let you know if that changes anything.

Cheers!

-- Smug

In a nutshell, I get claustrophobic.