GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

"Denied car" option in cGPSmapper

Started by glendeni, July 16, 2012, 08:36:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glendeni

In creating a routable trail map, I wanted to distinguish between official trails and "use trails" in the routings (they already appear differently on the map).  "Use trails" can be of questionable hikeability (actually in the Ventana Wilderness the official trails can also be of questionable hikeability!), so some people may simply not want to attempt using them.  Those people would not want to have a route which includes a use trail, so my idea was to use the "Denied_car" capability of the cGPSmapper to exclude use trails from routings.  Since this map is intended primarily for hikers, with roads being shown only for trailhead access, my idea was that people could set the "Activity Mode" to "Automobile" if wanting to use only official trails but "Pedestrian" mode if wanting to also use "use trails".

So I created such a trailmap, but am finding that when in "Automobile" mode my Oregon GPS will not route along the official trails (for which I am using type 0x0f).  I was so disbelieving of this that I redid the file creation process, carefully monitoring it from the .mp file (checking to ensure that it used "RouteParam=0,4,0,0,0,0,1" only for the use trails) through transfer to the GPS.  So the "Denied_car" digit of RouteParam  does not seem to be controlling the automobile-vs-pedestrian difference - I can only guess that it is being controlled by the fact that I am using "road" types for my actual roads and other types (0x0e and 0x0f) for trails and use trails.

But I am still somewhat unbelieving of this - it would seem that if the "Denied_car" parameter of cGPSmapper has no effect that others would have noticed it!  So I'm posting here to see if anyone with experience in creating a routable map has some relevant knowledge to pass on. Perhaps I am missing something.

glendeni

After posting the above I thought to try the map on my old GPSMAP60csx, with its "older technology".  I found that for it I got the expected behavior, with "automobile" mode using the official trails but not the "use trails".  So apparently something has changed with the newer models.

popej

Have you compared avoidance settings on both devices? Maybe you have unpaved roads set in Oregon.

glendeni

? I don't see any such settings in "Setup -> Routing".  Where do you find them?

Seldom

Setup>Routing>Avoidance.  At least that's the way it works on the OR300

glendeni

On an Oregon 450s all I've got under Setup -> Routing are 3 "buttons": (1) "Activity" with choices "Auto", "Pedestrian", etc (2) "Calculation Method" with 2 choices "Based on Activity" or "Prompted" (3)"Lock on Road" with 2 choices "Yes" or "No"

glendeni

In playing around with this today I've encountered flakey behavior from the Oregon 450s.  Previously the "Automobile" mode did not route along my "denied car" roads, but right now it _does_ route that activity along them.  (Yes I did try this several times, switching modes and routes in between, because I could not believe it either.)   Right now "Cycling" activity routes around the "denied car" roads.   Perhaps next time I turn it on it will behave differently!  "Pedestrian" mode consistently routes along all roads.

glendeni