GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Non-searchable POIs

Started by glendeni, July 14, 2012, 03:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glendeni

I just finished improving the trail map I'd made for the Ventana and Silver Peak Wilderness areas in Big Sur California by adding routing and additional icons.  The routing is working (based on demo mode tests) but the icon addition produced some questions so I decided to turn to some other map-makers for help.

I want to identify 3 different kinds of camping sites so chose 3 different icons and gave them hex ID types of 4801, 4802, and 4803 since 48xx is supposed to be for "Camping".  The icons displayed ok, with their correct label, but none of the campsites appeared in a POI search, although I had compiled with POI indexing, so I can not search on their names.  Icons I used with the 64xx, 65xx, and 66xx types (Manmade features, Water features, and Land features) all were listed as POIs and could be searched for. [This is the case for a GPSMAP60csx, an Oregon, and a GPSMAP62.] I understand why the 48xx types would not be listed as "Geographic Features" but do not understand why they would not appear as a POI.  To me it does not make much sense to use icons types for which no search can be made.

Do I misunderstand what a POI is supposed to be?  Could I have done something incorrect when creating 48xx icons (the cGPSMapper compiler input code was essentially the same as for 64xxx etc types, differing only in the type number)?

Seldom

I've got a number of campsites on my map, and they are searchable but are all 0x2B03.  I thought 0x4x POI might not be searchable, but I can find toilets and picnic areas on my map, and they are 0x4E and 0x4A.

However, I just found this in the manual:
Quote10.5
Filling (Gas) Stations not showing in the find function of the GPS
Use 0x2F01 (instead of 0x4400) if you want to show it in the find function of your GPS receiver.

There was no explanation to go with it, however.  That's the entire paragraph.

glendeni

Thanks for the info.  FWIW I just stumbled upon the webpage below, where people are empirically determining how the different Garmin types are treated by different GPS units

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin/POI_Types

Seldom

Are you compiling with cgpsmapper, or mkgmap?  If mkgmap you should be aware that more point types may apply.  I don't use mkgmap myself, because when I follow their mailing list it seems like they are continually updating it, and sometimes that introduces problems.

glendeni

popej

cgpsmapper (probably) indexes following POI types:

0x00 - 0x0F

0x2A00 - 0x2A1F
0x2B00 - 0x2B1F
0x2C00 - 0x2C1F
0x2D00 - 0x2D1F
0x2E00 - 0x2E1F
0x2F00 - 0x2F1F
0x3000 - 0x301F

0x6400 - 0x641F
0x6500 - 0x651F
0x6600 - 0x661F
0x6700 - 0x671F

Other POIs can be found using "search near" function.

glendeni

For the 3 types of campsites, I tried switching them to the "lodging" category using 2B03 ("campgrounds"). 2B04 ("resorts"), and "2B05" (no assigned name that I know of).  2B03 and 2B04 were indeed displayed under "Lodging", but with the latter as "resorts" which is not really appropriate for this case.  2B05 was not displayed under "Resorts" or under "All POIs".  So this approach is not going to work for me and I will be going back to setting them to "64" types, i.e. Manmade Geographic Points.

maps4gps

As was pointed out in the cgpsmapper manual - we learn what can be done trial and error and find a lot of things do not work as expected.  Garmin has been making a lot of changes the past two years on how some features display and even their own mapsets will display differently on different models.