News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Novice seeking aid with 450t transfer of maps

Started by Timdencker, July 01, 2012, 08:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timdencker

Dear GPSFile Depot users,

I've recently purchased the european version of the 450t Oregon and so far I've been satisfied with the maps that came with the unit. But now I need to expand a bit. I'm heading to British Columbia, Canada this august and therefore I've set out to get the TOPO Northwest from this site onto my Oregon. In my eager search to get it going, I think I have become entangled in way too many different tutorials and guides. And therefore, I would greatly appreciate some help.

Here's what I've done so far:
- Downloaded the Northwest Topos from this site
- Downloaded BaseCampe
- Downloaded MapInstall, WebUpdater and MapManager
- Registered my Garmin

My GPS is visible in BaseCamp and I can see my tracks so far, so no problem there apparently.

When I follow the tutorial "How to load Maps on my gps" Mac-version, MapInstall promptly responds with "No Garmin map found" and then just closes. And from there I'm a bit lost. Now, I've probably missed something obvious, but I'm really new to this kinda tinkering.

Seldom

Not a Mac user, but familiar with the PC version of BaseCamp.  You didn't say if you could see NW topo in BaseCamp.  I'm pretty sure that's a requirement for MapInstall to be able to find it.  I believe MapManager is the way to get the maps in the right place.  Also, you need a Mac version of the map.  Finally, if you downloaded this NorthWest topos: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/412, you actually downloaded from here: http://www.switchbacks.com/nwtopos/  .  That map isn't hosted by GPSfileDepotand you should probably be contacting that site with install questions.

Timdencker

I can see the NW topo, but not open it in basecamp. I downloaded the Mac version, but yes, perhaps, I should try and ask the questions on the switchbacks forum.

Seldom

If you can't see it in BaseCamp, then MapInstall won't be able to find it.  You need to install it in BaseCamp with MapManager.

Timdencker

When I open MapManager a window shows saying "No compatible maps were found" and then I can't do anything from there. Do I need to put the map files in some specific directory before MapManager can find them?

Timdencker

Got it working now. I simply had to open my eyes and do it all in the right order. Thanks for the help though!