GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Maps and waypoints to a 205W

Started by jlb27537, June 17, 2012, 09:23:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlb27537

Hello,  I have a 205W, Map Source and BaseCamp.

I have a map, "Taylor Park CO ATV Trails", that got here.  I have imported what I think are waypoints  from FunTreks that show points of reference and they show up as small flags on top of the map.  This is when looking at the map on the computer.  (Vista Laptop) In BaseCamp.  The map on the laptop  with the waypoints is what I am wanting on the 205W

When I transfer the map & waypoints (at the same time) to the 205W only the map shows up.  The small flags and their Id's do not transfer.

Considering getting a Montana, I am using this on my RZR SxS. 

Thanks Jim

Is it because   

Boyd

First you need to determine exactly what you have. In Mapsource, click on the Waypoints tab. Do you see the same points listed along with their icons? Waypoints are completely separate from map data.

If you are certain that you sent these waypoints to your nuvi, then press Menu > Where To > Favorites and you should see a list containing the waypoints that are closest to your current location. Display of waypoints varies a lot on different nuvi models, but IIRC they should appear on the 205w although you might have to zoom in to something like .8 miles to see them. There are no menu options to either show or hide waypoints on that device... "it is what it is".

It's also possible that you have POI's instead of waypoints, and you could use POI Loader to send them to the Nuvi. It's possible that user installed POI's don't show on the Nuvi screen, not sure because this also varies a lot on different nuvi models.

I have had a Montana 600 for about a year and I love it. I no longer use my nuvi's in the car, I use the Montana there as well as on foot. It is a huge upgrade from a Nuvi 205w, although if you aren't used to the advanced features of Garmin handhelds it could take it little while to figure everything out.

jlb27537

OK, using Mapsource, I found a file that included all 30 waypoints on my computer.  I transferred them to show on top of the Taylor Park Map.  I then used the map select, made it pink and then transferred to the 205W.  It transferred all 30 sets of waypoints and the map.

I was trying to use Basecamp.  Just could not make it transfer both the waypoints and map.  Map was no problem.

I now have the Taylor Park map and all  30 sets of Funtreks on the 205W

In Mapsource, where is the Waypoints Tab?

Thanks,  Jim

Boyd

It's not necessary to transfer maps and waypoints together. Waypoints are completely independent of the map. They can be displayed on any map. On the Nuvi, waypoints are called favorites and can be found as I described above.

Basecamp is a little different, it uses a separate program called Mapinstall to send maps to the GPS. To send waypoints, just select the ones that you want from the list with the mouse and drag them to the All Data folder that is displayed underneath the icon representing your Nuvi.

See the screenshot below for an example of the waypoints tab in Mapsource. If you don't see it, click the little triangle that is shown on the top left of the screen or use the  View > Show Data Tabs menu command.