Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

GPS track animation

Started by Gsdtracker, June 16, 2012, 06:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gsdtracker

Hi to all,

Back ground info:
I track with a German Shepherd dog for sport - the tracks being from half an hour to 12 hours old over a distance from less than 50 metres to 3 kms  over or through varied terrain.
When the tracks are laid - they are done so with a GPS unit being carried by the tracklayer.
When the dog follows afterwards - the GPS is then carried by the dog.
Since the track is not visible to the human eye (hence dog using nose) - the two tracks may then be compared at a later time for an indication of accuracy of the dog.
I intend to create a picture in picture presentation - where the track is animated whilst viewing a video of the dog running the track. This aids in training and watching the canine behaviour traits as it tracks.

The video part is no problem.
The GPS track animation is!
Topofusion will give a good track presentation BUT using very poor quality aerial photos (for my area - PEI, Canada). I am able to run "Topo" without a background photo but would really like to have a program that allows me to place my 1 metre res. MRSIDs behind the track.
Any ideas? 

Grateful for any response.

GSDtracker

dbperry

What about Google Earth?

Watch the first video here:
http://www.google.com/earth/learn/advanced.html

Don't get nervous at the beginning of the video, stick with it until the 1:30 mark and then you will see the relevance...

The second video on this page is also relevant.

Dave
My custom KMZ map collection:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/byuser/13384/

Gsdtracker

Dave,

Thanks for the reply - Yes, I had thought about Google.
Again, living in a rural area - the coverage resolution is very poor.
I need to get down to  field level detail - hence the wish to use my aerial photos (1 metre/pixel res).
As I mentioned, Topofusion develops a great track animation and it seems that I have to run that without a background photo. with the video of the dog working at its side. The aerial photos associated with topofusion  (being similar to Google for my area) have not the resolution either.

From the lack of responses - I presume that I am out of luck.
Thanks to all that may have cast a thought to the request.

Gsdtracker

Yenalom

Consider trying to make your aerial photos as a TOPOFUSION USER MAP. If you can do that, I believe that you should get the detail you want.

leszekp

You could also create an image overlay for Google Earth using your high-res aerial photo.