GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Zagg Screen Protector

Started by busman, June 16, 2012, 12:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busman

This might be the wrong place to ask,but I need help.  I had a Zagg protector on my Oregon 450 for about 3 years and tried to take it off yesterday.  Half came off as it is supposed to, the other half left a residue of hard, dried glue.  I've tried citrus based cleaner (recommended by Zagg), alcohol, WD40, Boeshield all to no avail.  I'm chicken to use anything stronger for fear of damaging the screen.  Any ideas?

leszekp

There's a product called Sticker Lifter (from the makers of Goo Gone) that might be worth a shot. Don't know how well it would work, and whether it would affect the touch screen.

busman

I just used a powerful magnifying glass on the screen.  It is not residue.  The top layer of the screen has actually been pulled off in placesleaving small divots. I'm sick.  Anybody else with a touchscreen thinking of buying  a Zagg - Invisishield- be forewarned, once it's on it's on and will separate your screen if you try to remove it!!!

Seldom

Might be worth asking Zagg for a replacement.

Boyd

Wow, sorry to hear about that.  :'( I have never used screen protectors on any of the devices that I own, just because I'm afraid this kind of thing might happen. There was a thread in the Groundspeak forums where somebody put a Zagg protector on their new Montana, then decided to remove it and cracked the screen.

Seldom

I read in that thread that Zagg stopped selling screen protectors for Montanas after that.  Now Garmin sells one.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Boyd on June 16, 2012, 02:26:01 PM
There was a thread in the Groundspeak forums where somebody put a Zagg protector on their new Montana, then decided to remove it and cracked the screen.
Quote from: Seldom on June 16, 2012, 03:41:15 PM
I read in that thread that Zagg stopped selling screen protectors for Montanas after that.  Now Garmin sells one.
I saw that one also, but Zagg didn't have a Montana screen protector and what happened is that the end users bought a large notebook one and cut it down to split costs between several people. Of course they then blamed Zagg when they removed it improperly and the screen cover cracked.

In the OP's case, I would think that Zagg gives out replacement covers and one would make the GPS look like new

busman

Unfortunately, part of the screen, think like ripples in water, remains on the Zagg.  The part left on the Oregon is almost useless.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: busman on June 18, 2012, 10:10:06 AM
Unfortunately, part of the screen, think like ripples in water, remains on the Zagg.  The part left on the Oregon is almost useless.
Well I've heard that placing a new screen protector covers them up even people with scratches on the screen have reported that the scratches can not be seen anymore once a screen protector has been placed over the screen.

babj615

Just to play devils advocate, if you taped your eye lids SHUT you would no longer be able to see the damage created by the ZAGG screen protector either.

Just sayin' :)
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Seldom

Quote from: Indrid Cold on June 18, 2012, 03:09:59 PM
Well I've heard that placing a new screen protector covers them up even people with scratches on the screen have reported that the scratches can not be seen anymore once a screen protector has been placed over the screen.
Your mileage may vary, but that's what happened on my scratched 60CSX screen.  It took a while though.

busman

Well, update on ruined screen.

Zagg told me to basically p*** up a rope, however the company I bought the GPS and Zagg from 3 years ago offered me a VERY favorable deal.  Replaced my  Oregon GPS for a nominal sum plus S & H.  Talk about customer service going above and beyond the call of duty!!

Unit just arrived this am after completing the paperwork on Friday. :)

I don't know if company names are allowed to be posted here (moderator?), but if anybody wants to know, I'll send you their name.  Canadian company with really good prices and obviously exceptional post sale service.

busman

On rereading my posts, I guess the name is okay, as nobody has chastised me for mentioning  "Zagg".

http://www.gpscity.ca/ is the best!!

babj615

Thanks 4 the heads up!

I wont be using any zagg products. ever.
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Indrid Cold

Quote from: busman on June 25, 2012, 10:43:26 AM
I don't know if company names are allowed to be posted here (moderator?)
You can post company names but the FTC requires if you are affiliated with with or receive compensation such as pay or free merchandise to state such.

GPSCITY is also in the states here: http://www.gpscity.com/