GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

eTrex 20 won't read/write to internal memory- help requested

Started by modernhistorian, September 05, 2012, 06:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

modernhistorian

I recently bought an eTrex 20 with a 32gb card installed. It worked fine for 2 weeks, but now it won't read or write to its internal 2gb flash drive. It will read maps, waypoints, tracks and routes that are on the card, but refuses to store waypoints or other data (says "database error"). Basecamp will write to its internal drive and read what is there, but the eTrex won't. I have tried erasing the files on the internal drive and replacing them with the copies I made as soon as I got it. I have also tried master reset on the device. It seems like there is a corrupted file or other software problem, but I don't know what else to do. Does anyone have any ideas what might fix this, or should I send it back to Garmin for repair under warranty? Thanks for any help.

Boyd

Where do you get the "database error". That sounds like a Basecamp problem.

I'd suggest that you connect it to your computer, then call Garmin. You will have to wait on hold for a long time, but they can do remote diagnosis/repair. If they can't fix it this way, they will give you a return authorization.

modernhistorian

Quote from: Boyd on September 06, 2012, 02:02:34 PM
Where do you get the "database error". That sounds like a Basecamp problem.

It does this when not connected to BC. BC will read/write to both internal and SD card. Perhaps BC corrupted the file(s) on the GPS, but it reads/writes more often to the card, and there is no problem there.

Whatever the initial cause, it seems I need to format the internal drive and return the Garmin to the out-of-box condition. I  haven't found how to do this, but I did find how to run internal diagnostics (power on while holding the joystick). That reports RAM and ROM passing, but failure with "BMap and PMap." I don't yet know what those are.

Thanks again for help; can someone point me to the info on formatting the internal drive?

Boyd

If you are getting these errors on the device itself, then it's time to call Garmin. I don't think there's anything you can do about this yourself.  :(

SmugWimp

Just throwing it out there....

Have you tried connecting the Etrex to your computer and trying an software update via the Garmin WebUpdater?

It may not help, but then again...

Just wondering...

-- Smug
In a nutshell, I get claustrophobic.