GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Newbie, that needs help

Started by Naytoe, July 22, 2012, 05:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naytoe

Hi, I'm currently new to mapping and map editing and pretty much need a lot of help. I was hoping someone might be able to give me an idea of what to do and how I can get a better understanding of all this.

I am currently trying to get a map of Samoa, for the company I work for, so that I can place GPS coordinates onto the map, giving me a display of area's that we will be working on. So far I have downloaded the software 'GPS MapEdit' but have no idea on how to get a map into this program. If I have no map then I have no way of placing the coordinates.

So my question's are:
Am I using the right program?
If so where can I find a map file to place into it?

Thank you for your time and am looking forward to any replies on this matter

Boyd

Are you trying to make a map that you can use on a gps device in the field, or do you just want a map to use on a computer? If you want to use the map on a gps device, what make and model? Different manufacturers have different map formats. This site is centered on making maps for Garmin GPS devices.

Naytoe

Oh sorry forgot to elaborate, I already have a GPS device from Garmin 'GPSMAP 62s' which my company used to get coordinates on the island. I was just wondering how to transfer these coordinates onto a map on the computer. The problem is I can't get a map to put the coordinates onto. Are you suggesting that I get a map that can be put onto the GPS device first? before using the 'GPS MapEdit' software on my computer?

Indrid Cold

Sounds like google earth will do what you are looking for

SmugWimp

This is if you need to get maps onto your GPS. If you just want to transpose coordinates onto your computer, Ingrid may have suggested the next logical step.

Birds eye view:

1) Get Data for your area (USGS, etcetera)
2) Process Data for your area (GPSMapEdit, Global Mapper, etcetera)
3) Compile Data for your area (cGPSMapper,)
4) Install Maps compiled from Data (MapSource, MapSetToolKit, etcetera)

OR

5) Find pre-compiled Open Street Maps (http://downloads.cloudmade.com/oceania/polynesia/american_samoa)

Steps 1-4 are covered in the 'Creating a Topo' tutorial (http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-create-garmin-topo-maps/), although it's quite lengthy and takes a bit of time to get familiar with it all. It's the best 'long term' solution if you need something that isn't already available.

Step 5 is fairly simple, requiring only knowledge of how to get a compiled map on your Garmin device. (All you really need is american_samoa.img.zip)

This reply isn't real detailed. Once you decide which way to go, please post a followup question if need be.

Cheers!

-- Smug
In a nutshell, I get claustrophobic.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Naytoe on July 22, 2012, 07:55:30 PM
Oh sorry forgot to elaborate, I already have a GPS device from Garmin 'GPSMAP 62s' which my company used to get coordinates on the island. I was just wondering how to transfer these coordinates onto a map on the computer. The problem is I can't get a map to put the coordinates onto.
Let's try this again, using Google Earth, go to Tools->GPS, there you can import directly from your GPS of .gpx file if in USB mode.

BTW: Smug, your cloudmade link is for American Somoa, Somoa is not included in that data as it isn't a part of American Somoa.

Naytoe

Thank you for your help Indrid, I installed 'Google Earth' and imported the GPS: waypoints, tracks and routes, the only down side is that there was no option to just place the specific coordinates that were placed into the GPS Device, just a pathway which the people had traveled. So now I just got a massive line that goes around all over the place but no clue as to where the exact coordinates are. If you have any information on how I may fix this please let me know :) I will continue to search myself but any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Fish Addict

Once you have the tracks, routes and such showing on Google Earth, simply use your mouse and sweep over the place you want to mark.  Then write down the coordinates that show at the bottom of your screen.  Then use the Icons to mark that location. You can add notes and such for each one. I am not an expert but that is how I do it with my Etrex. 

That gives me the information on my computer.  WHen you are done marking the locations you can then delete the pretty colored lines that make up your path(s).
I hope this helps clear your confusion.