GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

colorado and new mexico maps

Started by crane, June 08, 2012, 02:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crane

looking for a set of maps that show ALL roads.  blm, county roads, dirk roads, natl forest roads, highways.  thought maybe the topo would, but no luck.  browsed the maps on here but cant find one for co and nm that will work.

anybody have some suggestions.  the roads i need are shown on google maps but i cant take google with me and it makes me think the maps would exist.

thanks for your help.

i have a garmin gpsmap76csx

Seldom

maps4gps

And map authors are still looking for a public soucre of data which includes ALL roads.
Garmin's website will let you view an area of you choice for their CityNavigator and US  24k topo products.  Two years ago we were in an area where CN showed some FS roads which had numbered 'signs' on the ground, but only two short segments were include in data from the FS.
Google is likely paying to use proprietary map data.

-Oz-

As maps4gps said; if the data were available those roads would be included...
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

dbperry

I don't know how it is out west, but I always check http://www.openstreetmap.org as an additional source of trails and roads. There are a bunch of automated, semi-automated, and manual methods on the internet to convert openstreetmap to img files for GPSr.
My custom KMZ map collection:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/byuser/13384/

maps4gps

FYI - From what I have found in the web of wiki articles on OSM; the US data is from a mass conversion done 3 months before Census released the 2007 TIGER files.  If these were the then current 2006(2nd) version or an earlier version, I have never seen so stated.  Slightly more than 1/3 of the counties had not undergone spatial realignment in the 2007 version.  Spatial realignment was a multi-year (about 3) process; the 2006 version may have had only 1/3 of the counties completed and a earlier version may have had only a few pilot counties completed.  There are around 30 million (yes million) line segments in the transportation and hydro catagories.  It would take quite a number of people spending a huge amount of time to have much of an effect in checking and correcting such a large number of features.

I have heard OSM is considering another mass conversion.  But what would/should be done with all the 'corrections'/additions submitted since the first mass conversion?