GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

No detail on the topo once loaded into OREGON 400c

Started by unklbuck, June 06, 2012, 10:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unklbuck

Updated the Oregon 400c, got Garmin base camp and mapsource updated and talking to the garmin and then downloaded the patopo11, NE USA Part 3 and I have the topo US 2008

All show up in BAse Camp and Mapsource

When i pick the maps to load --success.  However, when i go to map display in the Oregon, I do not see any topo detail.  IN the PAtopo11, i see train tracks and water, that's it.  NO roads, contours, detail at all.

There doesn't seem much to do in the setup for the garmin and I enabled the topo. 

Probably missing something easy.... but need help

going to give this a go in Western PA using paddleboards going down the creeks.  Got a few ULIs, but think i am also going to try this Badfish SUP.

Thanks for any help....John

Boyd

The 400c is a marine unit, so maybe it is still set in marine profile? There is also a profile-related bug that can prevent details from showing on the Oregon series. Select the recreational profile, or if it's already selected then select another profile, then go back and choose recreational.

Does that help?

unklbuck

No help
Saw the profile, was on marine, changed to recreational but still same map info, streams and RR

thanks very much for the reply

Boyd

With the recreational profile active, go to map setup and make sure the topo map is enabled and all other maps are disabled. Also make sure that map detail is set to the maximum (these settings are profile-specific).

Also make certain you are actually viewing an area within the coverage of the map. If not, you may just be looking at the basemap.

unklbuck

1.  rec active
2. topo enabled, marine disabled
3. how do i set the detail to max?
4. i loaded the 16 maps from patopo11.  when i go to map enabled, all I see are 3 maps from  patopo and these were in the middle of the state.  Maybe i should try and just load my quadrant in Butler PA and see what that gives me?

--if you load let's say 10 quadrants, should you see all 10 in the enabled block?

unklbuck

Boyd
did a master reboot
and
all the items you mentioned
got the topo 2008 and now trying the patopo
great help.........thank you

JOhn

Boyd

Map detail should be one of the menu items when you press Setup > Map. It may be under the advanced button, not sure since I gave my Oregon to a friend and now have a Montana.

When you say you sent 16 maps, how did you do that? Do you mean you used MapInstall to select 16 tiles? I don't think there should be 3 separate PA topo maps listed on your GPS. There should just be one listing and it should turn the whole map on and off.

Seldom

eaparks

The Oregon 400c uses satellite imagery as part of its basemap and their is a known problem with the satellite imagery basemap not allowing other maps to dispay in quite a broad zoom range of zoom levels.  It has been a couple of years so I don't remember the whole range of zoom levels where the problem exisit. 

The 400c was the first Oregon I had about 2 1/2 years ago and I talked to Garmin engineering mutliple times about the problem but never got any satisfactory results.  Garmin ended up letting me swap it for an Oregon 400t and later went to the 450.

If you turn off all factory installed maps Garmin Blue Charts and also turn off the basemap I think you can then view your other maps as you want.

I had pretty well documented the problems online and you can probably find some of my old posts that will explain it in more detail.

The Master Reset and changing Map detail, in this instance with the 400c won't help the problem your experiencing.

You might check to be sure your running the latest software version, just in case Garmin fixed the problem after I got rid of mine.

unklbuck

Thanks again for the info
after the master reboot, update of the software and using map installer, all seems ok

Shout out to the pa topo guy...nice job on that

maps4gps

Glade you got it working.
If you used MapSource to select and send 16 segments to the GPSr, it will include a 'subtitle' for the mapset of x number of characters using the names of the segments as a default unless you opt to change it.  All segments have been sent to the GPSr. 
On pre-CO GPSrs, you could hide/show individual segments; on CO and newer units only mapsets are enabled/disabled as a mapset (of the segments sent to the GPSr), not by individual segments.

babj615

Quote from: maps4gps on June 07, 2012, 05:21:34 AM
On pre-CO GPSrs, you could hide/show individual segments; on CO and newer units only mapsets are enabled/disabled as a mapset (of the segments sent to the GPSr), not by individual segments.

What is pre-CO?
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

maps4gps

The older models, pre-Colorado, like 60, 76, etc.