GPSFileDepot.com

Custom .typ file not recognized by GPS when several .typ files are used.

Started by eaparks, June 12, 2012, 06:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eaparks

I know this is going backwards with technology, but I'lll post it since a lot of users still use the Garmin 60CS/x, 76CS/x, and older models of the Etrex GPSs and it might be helpful for someone.

I load quite a lot of my custom maps and other's custom maps on to friends GPSs and recently I had a problem getting my North Cumberland Trails map to load properly on a Etrex Legend HCx  and also on my 60CSx.  The custom .typ file was being recognized in Mapsource, Basecamp, and on my Oregon 450 but no typ file was being seen on the older GPSes where all maps have to be loaded at once to the gmapsupp.img file and can't be renamed.  The map was there on the GPS just not colored per the typ file.

I was loading 17 different Mapsets to a 2Gb card.  Total maps was around 848 and about 1.73Mbs, so well within the limits of the GPS.  The maps included Metroguide, US Inland Lakes, US Topo, RWS Caribbean v2.5 plus 13 more custom maps and all maps appeared properly except the one... North Cumberland Trails.  To make a long story short and skip all of the changes I made to the properties of the North Cumberalnd Trails map, 13 custom .typ files was the maximum number these older GPSes would recognize  whether it was due to a number limit or size/memory capacity for "drawing" being reached I never fully determined, since I got the .typ file to be recognized by reducing the number of custom .typ files/mapsets being used.  It was very repeatable (100%) with the Mapsets I was loading.

The official Garmin maps did not affect the .typ file count number.  The RWS Caribbean v2.5 mapset utilizes 3 typ files - for different map levels.  All other custom maps each had 1 custom .typ file.

If anyone else has experienced the same problem using a lot of custom .typ files on older GPSes and can add more information to this, I'd be curious to see what you determined.

Boyd

Quote from: eaparks on June 12, 2012, 06:52:13 AMThe RWS Caribbean v2.5 mapset utilizes 3 typ files - for different map levels.

I didn't realize you could use more than one custom .typ file in a single map and have hit work at different zoom levels. Sounds like a useful technique, how is it done?

eaparks

I don't know how it is done either, but when you look at his files that are included with the map download 3 typ files are included.

Edit: It's possible only 1 may be being used but it didn't make sense why he'd have 3 typ files included if they are all not being utilized somehow.

Boyd

I think it's possible to use multiple .typ files and associate them with specific .img files (tiles) in the mapset, although I've never done that. So maybe the trick is to have a larger tile with its own .typ that covers the same area as a group of smaller tiles, and to define it with levels so it only shows when you zoom way out.

I have never quite figured out how to do that sort of things with levels myself. I probably need to study it further, because I would like to have skinnier roads in my maps when zoomed way out.

babj615

This would be a neat feature. I am going to watch this conversation and do some of my own research.

Thank You!
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

maps4gps

From what you found, I would guess the older models have an undocumented custom .typ file limit, just like they have other limits less than the current models.  Garmin's mapsets using their 'standard built-in default types (now somewhat variable depending on GPSr model) would not count towards this limit.

Anyone know if the built-in world base map counts toward the segment limit?  And if so, how many segments?

Boyd

I think a segment is a segment. I saw an FAQ on Garmin's site regarding the Oregon series awhile ago. It stated the limit was 4,000 and then listed all the different flavors of the Oregon (300, 400t, 400i, 400c, etc) and showed how many segments were available to the user after subtracting the pre-loaded maps.

Speaking of segments, there is something very strange related to the limits. Did you know that the Nuvi series does not have a limit? Why would Garmin impose them on their handhelds? Only reason I can think of would be related to performance. See this: http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=25836

popej

There is a limit for maximum supported number of TYPs in img file. I think for older devices this is about 10.

maps4gps

QuoteI saw an FAQ on Garmin's site regarding the Oregon series awhile ago. It stated the limit was 4,000 and then listed all the different flavors of the Oregon (300, 400t, 400i, 400c, etc) and showed how many segments were available to the user after subtracting the pre-loaded maps.
I just did a FAQ search on Garmin's website, but was unable to find any info on segment limits. 
Last summer I created a mapset with a total of 3944 segments and split it into 6 mapsets.  Added one at a time to my OR300.  When the 6th mapset was added to the micro memory card, the OR300 gave an 'error' message about too many segments.  When displayed, some of the segments/quads were 'blank'.  When the 1st mapset was removed, the 'missing' segments in the 6th mapset displayed.  There was a post on forums.groundspeak.com
2? years ago about the OR300 having a 3860 segment limit.  When I remade the 6th mapset and added the 1st; no error message and all segments displayed.  I remade the 6th mapset numerous times by increasing the number of segments.  I got back to 3944 segments without an error message, but then noticed none displaying segments.  This was with Garmin's basemap removed. 

If the true limit is 3860 or somewhere between 3860 and 3944, I do not know.  It was not 4000 as Garmin states and a wiki article stating 4200 is way off.

Boyd

Quote from: maps4gps on June 12, 2012, 06:14:53 PMI just did a FAQ search on Garmin's website, but was unable to find any info on segment limits.

On the Garmin homepage I typed "segment oregon" into the search box, then clicked the link to only show results from support. The article I was thinking of was one of the first results displayed.

To me, this clearly implies that the limit is 4,000 minus whatever tiles are pre-installed on the unit (including the basemap). However I have never tested it myself, and can't imagine I would ever come anywhere near the limits for my own use.

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B717f9720-6eeb-11dd-e87e-000000000000%7D

QuoteWhat is the largest size microSD card I can use with my Oregon?

05/22/2012

All Oregon devices have an expandable memory slot, into which a microSD* card can be inserted. This card provides the ability to install detailed mapping to enhance the device's internal basemap.

It is recommended a standard speed card, no larger than 32 GB, be used in order to get the best performance from the device. Class 4 to Class 10 is considered standard speed.

While considering memory limitations, another limitation is the number of individual mapping segments. The mapping segment limitations are as follows:

Oregon 200: 4,000
Oregon 300: 4,000
Oregon 400t: 3,571
Oregon 400c: 3,546
Oregon 400i: 3747
Oregon 450: 4,000
Oregon 450t: 3,571
Oregon 550: 4,000
Oregon 550t: 3,571

The Oregon will pick and choose which map segments to show when the map segment limit is surpassed. It is suggested to transfer additional mapping segments to another microSD card.

*While any brand of microSD card should work, Garmin has only tested more common brands such as SanDisk and Kingston.

Referenced Links:

Mapping segments - https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={f91dda40-ce9f-11e0-cf56-000000000000}