GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Basecamp & elevation data

Started by hillclimber, June 05, 2012, 07:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hillclimber

Using Basecamp on a Windows Pro 64 bit PC, that has catopo11 as the installed map. The issue concerns elevation data. Catopo11 clearly has elevation data with it, since if I hover my mouse in spots, I get the elevation data showing. If I draw a track, and examine the log, it computes distances, but no elevations show with each point location in the log. If I try to graph it(to show the elevation profile), it says "no elevation data with map" What is going on?

Seldom

I didn't make that map, but if it has elevation data, I wish the author would tell us all how to do it.  I suspect you are hovering over contours, and seeing their labels.

hillclimber

Perhaps I am hovering over labels....If in reality it does not have elevation data, the utility is somewhat diminished. As a related question-if it lacks elevation data, is there any way to associate elevation data with it?

Seldom

AFAIK that is only possible with Garmin proprietary maps.  Nobody has figured out how to reverse engineer it yet.

maps4gps

As Selsom has mentioned, how Garmin puts grided elevation data into their mapsets has
not been reverse engineered.  As he also mentioned, a contour line label was likely displayed; or perhaps the elevation of a bench mark. 
To do what you want would require a Garmin mapset.  All that we have learned about creating maps for Garmin's GPSrs was by trial and error.   Only Garmin knows how to create
mapsets to use the full capability of their GPSrs.  If you need something which has not been
reverse engineered, you will simply have to purchase a Garmin mapset.

Boyd

There actually appears to be some progress and a new tool for exploring Garmin's DEM format by the author of TypWiz. See his website.  :)

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on June 06, 2012, 05:59:45 AM
There actually appears to be some progress and a new tool for exploring Garmin's DEM format by the author of TypWiz. See his website.  :)

Good to know, but he's not there yet.  :'(

From "Exploring DEM"

QuoteBlocks Contents Understood
Main Header Contains data 50 %
DEM 1 Tile Data 90%
DEM 2 Elevation Data for each maplevel 1%
DEM 3 Data about each record 70%

Boyd

True, but I am encouraged that others seem to be stepping in to fill the hole left by the discontinuation of cgpsmapper development. Between pinns and javawa, we are seeing some nice new apps for working with Garmin maps. Even better, javawa's apps are cross-platform.

Seldom

What would be really cool would be a nice new compiler for MP.  I'm starting to think about converting everything to OSM and mkgmap, and that's a little overwhelming.